On this day in history.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by KevinJS, Aug 3, 2012.

1. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    King Speaks to March on Washington this day in 1963!

Today, when I was still in high school in 1963, Martin Luther King gave his 'I have a dream..' speech on the steps of the Lincoln Memorial in Washington, D.C. - I've been there many times since (first in the early 1970s) - hard to imagine the number of people packed into that expansive area - Dave :)

Screen Shot 2016-08-28 at 6.31.51 PM.png

#1991 giradman, Aug 28, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2016
  2. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Hurricane Katrina Makes Landfall Today in 2005!

Hurricane Katrina slams the Louisiana & Mississippi coasts this day in 2005 causing billions of dollars of damage and leaving over 1300 dead; 80% of New Orleans was flooded - St. Bernard Parish was hard hit w/ water to the rooftops of houses.

About 5 years ago, Susan & I returned to New Orleans and stayed in the French Quarter, which was barely affected by the flooding (the original site of the city built on 'high' ground back then) - we took several 'Katrina Tours', the most poignant one given by a lady who had lived in St. Barnard Parish and lost her house and her treasured possessions. Pics below show the storm and some of its effects. Dave :)

Katrina1.png Katrina2.jpg Katrina3.jpg Katrina4.jpg

3. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Gene Wilder Dies on August 29, 2016 at 83 years!

Well, I was not planning to add another post, but just heard on NPR - the great comedic actor, Gene Wilder, has died - he was 83 years old - shown below are the films in my collection, although he made many more - the movies that I own were all directed by Mel Brooks (still alive @ 90 years of age! - I'm sure he is quite sad today). Dave :)
    GeneWilder.png

#1993 giradman, Aug 29, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2016
  4. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Frank Capra, Hollywood Film Director, Died Today in 1991!

Frank Capra made some of my favorite Hollywood films of yesteryear - a few quotes below - check the link for more information or his many Wiki articles. Pictures below, mainly scenes from some of his famous films, a picture of his favorite movie actress, Jean Arthur (one of mine also). Finally, a list of just his more famous films that were up for Oscars - I put an 'asterisk' by the ones I own - if you're an old movie fan and have not seen all of these films, then search them out.

In the 1980s, Susan & I were at a medical meeting in Southern California, and stayed at the La Quinta Resort, which was a favorite retreat for Frank Capra - he apparently wrote It Happened One Night there (see last quote below - Source) - believe that we may have stayed in that same cottage complex. Dave :)

Screen Shot 2016-09-03 at 11.38.47 AM.png Screen Shot 2016-09-03 at 11.39.35 AM.png Screen Shot 2016-09-03 at 11.38.13 AM.png Screen Shot 2016-09-03 at 11.38.29 AM.png Screen Shot 2016-09-03 at 11.37.52 AM.png Screen Shot 2016-09-03 at 11.41.12 AM.png

5. scifan57

scifan57
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
  6. jenni122701

jenni122701
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Sept. 4th 1998

Google founded by Stanford University students Larry Page and Sergey Brin.

Jenni
    IPhone 6 Plus/iPad Air

7. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Quoted below from the link above (and read many times by me in the past in numerous books), I've always been amazed at how much the British surrendered to the 'new' Americans in that treaty, in part related to John Jay's skills at negotiation - to be given all land up to the Mississippi (which of course would be extended west in 1803 w/ the Louisiana Purchase), and to have the eastern border between Canada and the USA close to the present one (took the War of 1812 & some hassling about Maine) to settle on those lines was surprising. :) Dave

8. scifan57

scifan57
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    There's a famous unfinished painting of the delegates at the peace conference. The right half, which was to contain the British delegates, is blank as they refused to sit for the painting.
    image.jpeg

9. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Sam Houston Elected President of the Texas Republic this day in 1836!

Shortly after the defect at the Alamo in San Antonio, Sam Houston defeated the Mexican leader, General Santa Ana at the Battle of San Jacinto leading to the formation of the Texas Republic, which was admitted to the United States in 1845. Houston was the governor of the Republic multiple times, then senator in Washington, D.C. when the state became part of the Union; he was governor of the state when Texas joined the Confederate government at the start of the Civil War - he was against secession and was disposed, dying in 1863.

I've been to Texas often, mostly to San Antonio and have visited the Alamo many times, but have never seen the San Jacinto State Historic Site - a good reason to return to the great state of Texas - :) Dave

list-sam-houston-3232930-E.jpeg The_Battle_of_San_Jacinto_(1895).jpg

10. J. A.

J. A.
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Farrokh Bulsara was born in Zanzibar, today, September 5th, 70 years ago. He became a famous British singer, songwriter and record producer. We know him as Queen's lead vocalist Freddie Mercury.