What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

On this day in history.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
It’s also international Pi (ℼ) (3.14...) day, which feels oddly appropriate.
b47f182b-f5d0-4b14-b2a9-72de0e6c6fe2.jpg

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Jamestown Founded This Day in 1607 - First Permanent English Colony in America

Jamestown was named after King James I, and was founded on Jamestown Island in the James River in 1607, the first permanent English colony in North America - the early settlers suffered severely from starvation and Native American opposition w/ many dying - the first Virginia 'cash crop' was tobacco, first cultivated in 1612 by John Wolfe who married Pocahontas - she died young in England in 1617 at the age of 20 or 21 years (see quotes and links for more detailed information).

Susan & I have visited the James-York peninsula many times - much to see and do: 1) Jamestown; 2) Yorktown; 3) Hampton Roads (clash of the Civil War ironclads); and 4) Williamsburg, the restored Colonial Capital of Virginia until moved up the James River to Richmond - maps below show the geography of the lower peninsula (which was also the site of McCellan's Peninsular Campaign early in the Civil War) - just a couple of other pics of the Jamestown entrance and the 3 replica ships that brought the settlers from England to Virginia. Dave :)

Some 100 English colonists arrive along the west bank of the James River in Virginia to found Jamestown, the first permanent English settlement in North America. Dispatched from England by the London Company, the colonists had sailed across the Atlantic aboard the Susan Constant, Godspeed, and Discovery. Upon landing at Jamestown, the first colonial council was chosen in a sealed box by King James I. The council, which included Captain John Smith, an English adventurer. After only two weeks, Jamestown came under attack from warriors from the local Algonquian Native American confederacy, but the Indians were repulsed by the armed settlers. In December of the same year, John Smith and two other colonists were captured by Algonquians while searching for provisions in the Virginia wilderness. His companions were killed, but he was spared, according to a later account by Smith, because of the intercession of Pocahontas, Chief Powhatan’s daughter.

During the next two years, disease, starvation, and more Native American attacks wiped out most of the colony, but the London Company continually sent more settlers and supplies. The severe winter of 1609 to 1610, which the colonists referred to as the “starving time,” killed most of the Jamestown colonists, leading the survivors to plan a return to England in the spring. However, on June 10, Thomas West De La Warr, the newly appointed governor of Virginia, arrived with supplies and convinced the settlers to remain at Jamestown. In 1612, John Rolfe cultivated the first tobacco at Jamestown. On April 5, 1614, Rolfe married Pocahontas, thus assuring a temporary peace with Chief Powhatan.
Jamestown1.png
Jamestown2.png
Jamestown3.jpg
Jamestown4.jpg

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi Scifan.. - thanks for the maps. We've not visited the area in well over 10-12 years - tried to talked her into a 'Peninsular Adventure' last year but she prefer other trips - also check my collection of books on regional Carolina & Virginia history - couple of general books on VA but none specific to Jamestown - SO, checked Amazon - a new one (just a year old) by William Kelso (shown below) - I've seen him on a number of videos discussing research @ Jamestown - wish the price was a little less but a University of Virginia Press publication (seems these state university press publications always are sold at a premium), but may just go on and make a purchase - ALSO, want to re-visit - there are a LOT of other historic places that I've not seen, especially at the tip of that peninsula in Hampton and Newport News. Dave :)
Screen Shot 2018-05-13 at 6.15.26 PM.png

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
May 15, 1903:
Maria Reiche, German mathematician, archaeologist and technical translator was born in Dresden, German Empire.
She discovered and researched into the Nacza Lines. Maria Reiche was known as “Lady of the Lines”.
7DB549E6-7E88-4021-82FB-1F9D13B44ED8.jpeg

Wikipedia, photo by Maria Reiche
Maria Reiche - Wikipedia

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Charles Lindbergh Starts Solo Non-stop Flight Across the Atlantic Ocean to Paris

Early on this day in 1927, Charles Lindbergh, a 25 y/o airmail pilot departs from Long Island, NY for a successful non-stop 3600+ mile flight to Paris, France - more details in first two quotes below. The movie The Spirit of St. Louis starring James Stewart was released in 1957, and is worth a watch.

BUT 1927 was a remarkable year for the USA - a few years ago, I read the book below by Bill Bryson, highly recommended - the third quote is a list of just some of the events occurring in that year - one of my favorites are the Bristol, TN sessions where Ralph Peer recorded the Carter Family and Jimmie Rodgers, considered the 'Father of Country Music' - Bristol is on the TN-VA border - we've made a visit; the building no longer stands but a BIG wall mural honors the event and musical concerts are held in the paved lot w/ a stage. Dave :)

At 7:52 a.m., American aviator Charles A. Lindbergh takes off from Roosevelt Field on Long Island, New York, on the world’s first solo, nonstop flight across the Atlantic Ocean and the first ever nonstop flight between New York to Paris. Lindbergh, a daring young airmail pilot, was a dark horse when he entered a competition with a $25,000 payoff to fly nonstop from New York to Paris. He ordered a small monoplane, configured it to his own design, and christened it the Spirit of St. Louis in tribute to his sponsor–the St. Louis Chamber of Commerce. Source

On May 20, 1927, a rainy morning, he took off from Roosevelt Field, but his monoplane was so loaded down with fuel that it barely cleared the telephone wires at the end of the runway. He flew northeast up the East Coast and as night fell left Newfoundland and headed across the North Atlantic. His greatest challenge was staying awake. The next afternoon, after flying 3,610 miles in 33 1/2 hours, Lindbergh landed at Le Bourget field in Paris, becoming the first pilot to accomplish the solo, nonstop transatlantic crossing. Lindbergh’s achievement made him an international celebrity and won widespread public acceptance of the airplane and commercial aviation. Source

1927 - Just Some of the Events
Jan 7 - first trans-Atlantic telephone call (NYC-London)
Apr 22-May 5 - Great Mississippi Flood (greatest USA national disaster to that time)
May 11 - Academy of Motion Picture Arts & Sciences founded - Oscars start
May 20-21 - Lindbergh makes first non-stop trans-Atlantic flight
May 23 - first live demonstration of television at Bell Building in NYC
Jul 25-Aug 5 - Ralph Peer & the Bristol, TN sessions - Carter Family & Jimmie Rodgers
Sept 30 - Babe Ruth hits his 60th home run, a record lasting 34 years
Oct 6 - The Jazz Singer movie opens - first talkie ending the era of silent films
Linbergh1.jpg
Linbergh2.gif
Lindbergh3.jpg
Lindbergh4.png

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Here's a plan and a photo of the plane on display at the National Air and Space Museum.
View attachment 82015 View attachment 82016

Hi Scifan.. - been a while since I've seen that plane in the D.C. museum - Susan usually wants to go to many of the other museums - we have to attend a nephew's wedding in Baltimore in July, but are doing a 4-night post-wedding stay in Washington and likely concentrate on some of the newer museums - staying at the historic Willard Hotel which is near the White House and in a great location. Dave :)

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Scifan.. - been a while since I've seen that plane in the D.C. museum - Susan usually wants to go to many of the other museums - we have to attend a nephew's wedding in Baltimore in July, but are doing a 4-night post-wedding stay in Washington and likely concentrate on some of the newer museums - staying at the historic Willard Hotel which is near the White House and in a great location. Dave :)
If you've ever been through the airport in Minneapolis, they have a full size replica of the Spirit of St. Louis hanging from the ceiling.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If you've ever been through the airport in Minneapolis, they have a full size replica of the Spirit of St. Louis hanging from the ceiling.

I've been to Minneapolis only once and probably several decades ago - I flew there so have been to the airport - here is the story of the Spirit of St. Louis Replica, which was originally used in the1957 movie - looking at the dates in the link, I probably did see the plane. Dave :)

Most reactions

Latest posts