What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

On this day in history.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Since 1994, World Alzheimer's Day, and many activities connected to it is/are taking place on September 21. World Alzheimer's Day was founded by WHO and Alzheimer’s Disease International (London). This day is dedicated to raise awareness about Alzheimer's and dementia.

Last edited:

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
September 28, 1066: Duke William II of Normandy (at that time called William the Bastard, now known as William the Conqueror) invades England, thus starting the Norman conquest of England.
image.jpg

Wikipedia
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norman_conquest_of_England

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Today, October 2, the birthday of Mahatma Gandhi, is the International Day of Non-Violence. It was established by the United Nations General Assembly in 2007.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
October 7, 2004: author Elfriede Jelinek is the first (and only) Austrian to receive the Nobel Prize in Literature.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
October 16: since 1946, this day is World Food Day. It's been observed in more than 150 countries since then, and is meant to raise awareness of issues behind poverty and hunger.

Since 1981, it has adopted different themes each year. This year's theme is "Feeding the world, caring for the earth”.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi Scifan.. - I was about to bring up the 'day that will live in infamy' - we visited the USS Arizona Memorial years ago, oil can still be seen in the water - the statistics are quoted below - Pearl Harbor is now a beautiful place, so for those going to Hawaii, plan a visit.

And for those wanting to watch a film about the attack on December 7, 1941, my favorites (own both now on Blu-ray) are Tora!Tora!Tora! and From Here to Eternity - Dave :)

The USS Arizona Memorial, located at Pearl Harbor in Honolulu, Hawaii, marks the resting place of 1,102 of the 1,177 sailors and marines killed on the USS Arizona during the Japanese surprise attack on.....
u-s-s-arizona-memorial-pearl-harbor-hawaii.jpg

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I visited the memorial in 1984, while in the Canadian Navy when my ship was participating in RIMPAC 84.
While everybody's heard of the Arizona, relatively few know about the other battleship sunk in the attack that still remains at the bottom of the Harbor. The U.S.S. Utah was, and still is, on the opposite side of Ford Island.
image.jpg

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Not yet history, this happened today:
Leonard Nimoy, actor and director, singer, photographer, has died at home today. He was 83.

Nimoy was best known for his role as Mr. Spock in Star Trek, and he was my favorite actor/character of the series. I will miss him.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts