What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Offline web apps

rwilson352

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello,

I am looking for help on how to achieve a certain functionality on my iPad. Currently, I think this will be impossible, but I just want to run it past you all to see.

I have a web app which is just a folder with an index.html and 1,400 other files (.html, .js, etc) which all work together to make one big offline web app. The app itself is just a reference tool, which means it is all text but that the webpages link to each other. It's not sophisticated, but it does use (simple) javascript to manage user interaction.

The problem is: I can't find an app to run this. It was challenging even finding an app that could import the entire folder of files, but dropbox was able to bring the entire folder to the iPad OTA. But when I run any of the html pages through dropbox, it seems that the pages themselves are sandboxed, that is, they cannot reference each other. So none of the links work and the page is hideous because the stylesheets and javascript files are not being referenced.

The app works offline, I use it all the time when I'm offline (which is very frequently), which is my primary goal here. I could upload the folder to the web and use it then but I am offline almost 50% of the time.

So, what's the prognosis? Am I asking too much of Apple to be able to do this?

Thank you in advance for your help. :)

Most reactions