What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

offline ebook reading

yycgal

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just discovered that the 5 books I bought on the Kobo site for download to my iPad2 are not available when I'm hooked up to wireless! ARGH!

I bought them specifically for a beach vacation where there is no internet - I wanted to 'get away from it all!'

Does anyone know how I can get those books into my iPad2 to read in either airplane mode or offline completely?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If they were free book, chances are they are also free on most other sites. Find a wi-fi hot spot, fire up iBooks and search the iBooks Store for the titles you want. Chances are they are also free. Same for the Kindle app and Amazon.

And while I do not have the Kobo app, I find it peculiar that you can not read offline. At that same hotspot, open the app and prod, poke, or other wise abuse the books in the app to see if you can find a download option.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That's strange if you've already downloaded the books. Did you just buy them and not download them? I have free books from Kobo and just turned off my wi-fi and 3G and can still access them without a connection.

It's been awhile since I bought a Kobo book, so I can't swear that it works like other book apps, but generally you buy and then download. It's two steps to get a book on your iPad. If you just buy without downloading, then yes you'll need an Internet connection when you get around to downloading. But downloading generally takes less than a minute, so I buy and download at the same time. Then I can read without a connection.

55julie55

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Very strange,
After you purchase they down load automatically.
You can read any time any where.wifi or not!!!!
Even the fee ones
I use kobo,borders,iBooks and kindle all the same process

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Very strange,
After you purchase they down load automatically.
You can read any time any where.wifi or not!!!!
Even the fee ones
I use kobo,borders,iBooks and kindle all the same process

On Kindle, which I use most, the books download only when you open the Kindle app. So say you shop and buy on Amazon's site, then don't open the app till later (when you might not have an Internet connection), then you can't read the book. So best to buy and download immediately if you won't necessarily have a connection later.

On B&N, you have to click "Download," or the book won't download.

Cindysturgeon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Kobo books and reading without wi-fi

I too purchased four books from Kobo and happily went on vacation for reading on the plane and on resort. With the exception in the lobby of the resort, I could not read them! Talk about frustrated! It's a good thing I also brought my Sony reader! I would have had absolutely nothing to read. I honestly thought that once you downloaded them, like magazines, you would be able to read them without an Internet connection. This was a big disappointment!

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I too purchased four books from Kobo and happily went on vacation for reading on the plane and on resort. With the exception in the lobby of the resort, I could not read them! Talk about frustrated! It's a good thing I also brought my Sony reader! I would have had absolutely nothing to read. I honestly thought that once you downloaded them, like magazines, you would be able to read them without an Internet connection. This was a big disappointment!

That really bites. I've not used Kobo in ages, but have noticed similar probs with B&N books -- even books previously downloaded have disappeared and required redownloading for no apparent reason. Maybe it's tied to app updates in my case, because I rarely read B&N books now. Whatever the reason, it's crazy that any downloaded book isn't reliably available for reading.

I've been using Kindle ebooks for about four years without prob, so I'm sticking with them. Once downloaded, I've never had access probs to any Kindle book, even when I've traveled to countries without a Kindle store.

jordanh

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't know if you have the exact same problem as I did, but here's what I realized. I downloaded an ebook from Kobo (bought, not free) and was reading it on the Kobo app. When travelling, and offline, I came upon a page with the text cut off (partial text on left of page, and then blank on right). The next page was blank, as were the following pages. I assumed that the book hadn't fully downloaded. After much difficulty trying to figure out how to download the full ebook without any success, I started playing around with the app, specifically the settings within the reader page. In the Tools (touch the dot at the bottom right, then the wrench), under Text Alignment, choose Left of Justified. Tcut he Publisher Default setting added blank pages to the end of each chapter. It turns out I was just at the end of the first chapter, with a bunch of blank pages after the last page of text. The page with cut-off text was a copy of the final page of text, just cut-off.

I hope this helps

jordanh

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Also, the ebook didn't download right away. I had to sign out of kobo on the app, then close the app, then re-open the app and sign in to kobo on the app again. As soon as I signed in, my ebook downloaded automatically.

Again, I hope this help

Most reactions

Latest posts