Notepad + Free-hand Sketching App Recommendation

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by Acextreme, Sep 13, 2011.

1. Acextreme

Acextreme iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hi, I'm looking for a notepad app. I know there is a thread on best note taking app but after reading through the first few pages, it remains unclear some of the unique features of each app. Furthermore, the needs of most members there are on the ability to write freehand using a stylus as the main mode of input.

My requirements however is different. As a teacher, I want a notepad app whose main input method is typing BUT with the added option for sketching in between those paragraphs that I'll be typing. Reason is, as I am guiding my class on structuring Economic answers to the questions, I'll be typing it down using my bluetooth keyboard, as the main requirement is that the app focus on typing as the main mode of text input.

But because it's Economics I'm teaching, I would need the ability to input freehand sketching of diagrams to substantiate the essay and I'll need to be able to do this as easily as I would be able to on a piece of paper.

I kinda like smartNote for its ability to write notes over PDFs; I will be able to expound on what the questions require from the student through an analysis of the paper and such a feature is vital. But I am not too sure how typing-centric it is. It seems that texts can be input through a text box, implying that it's more hardwriting-centric than it is concerned with using typing as the main mode of input.

In short, is there an app whose focus is more on typing with sketching and writing as a secondary function?

2. Tim SPRACKLEN

Tim SPRACKLEN iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +121 / 1
    Have a look at Notes Plus - it has all these features and you'll find several reviews by Members on the Forum. Also, visit the Developer's website where he has a video showing the app in action.

Tim

3. ipadbraincell

ipadbraincell iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    IMHO using free hand with a stylus or finger, as one who draws circuit and pcb design's, it is possibly the biggest drawback with the otherwise excellent ipad2 screens

4. Acextreme

Acextreme iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks. I checked the website of Notes Plus and found it very promising. However, one thing I noted was that the typing is activated by pressing 2 fingers apart on the screen to which a text area appears for typing text on that part of the paper. In other words, no text alignment like regular word processor such as left/center/right alignment. Is there any way to align text as you would in a word processor?

I'm pretty much looking for a word processor with integrated freehand sketching input mode. However, if Notes Plus can align and format typed text as a regular word processor could, it would be perfect. Could someone verify this for me?

P.S: I also noticed towards the end of one of their tutorials that Notes Plus is "primarily a writing and drawing app". That kind of explains only text boxes. Any other recommendations?

Last edited: Sep 13, 2011
  5. donka

donka iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +27 / 0
    Notability. The main input is typing but you can also record audio which will add place holders when you type and also add images or free hand drawing which can be placed and resized as required.

6. jsh1120

jsh1120 iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +87 / 0
    +1. For the OP's needs, I think Notability may the best bet. Several of the handwriting apps support both typed and handwritten entry but each tends to be "biased" toward one or the other approach as the default.

Notes Plus and Note Taker HD each has more comprehensive support for handwritten notes than Noteability, but the latter has better "text editing" capabilities and a relatively good handrwriting/diagram drawing insertion feature.