What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

No IM app

the.lost.one

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The main reason why my laptop is turned on most of the time is because there is no real instant messaging app for iPad.

IM+, for example, does not alert in reasonable time about messages when I have switched on to another app. It can take up to 10 mins to notify, which defeats the purpose of getting online on MSN etc. A minute or two of delay might be tolerable, but anything more is not instant.

I haven't tried Beejive yet, but it would suck to waste $10 if it is the same as IM+ in delay.

Do you guys know of any instant messaging app that is actually "instant"?

Is it a limitation of iOS that there can never be any real instant messaging app?:confused:

OP
T

the.lost.one

iPF Noob
Reaction score
what app do you guys use for instant messaging? does it have these delays too?

honeybee26

iPF Noob
Reaction score
don't get the beejive it doesn't work well too. it always say incorrect password. perfect for iphone but not on the IPAD.

TheX

iPF Novice
Reaction score
the.lost.one said:
The main reason why my laptop is turned on most of the time is because there is no real instant messaging app for iPad.

IM+, for example, does not alert in reasonable time about messages when I have switched on to another app. It can take up to 10 mins to notify, which defeats the purpose of getting online on MSN etc. A minute or two of delay might be tolerable, but anything more is not instant.

I haven't tried Beejive yet, but it would suck to waste $10 if it is the same as IM+ in delay.

Do you guys know of any instant messaging app that is actually "instant"?

Is it a limitation of iOS that there can never be any real instant messaging app?:confused:

Check out IMO.Im great free multi protocol messenger.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Reaction score
the.lost.one said:
no delay even when it is running in the background?

After reading this read, I just tested IM+ to see if it there is a delay.

Things to know: IM+ was last opened 1 1/2 days ago and is set to push messages for 7 days.

For this test, I logged into my laptop and send IM message to the hotmail account open on IM+ on the iPad. The popup shows up within 2 seconds of sending the message from the laptop, no matter what app I am in.

MadDragon1846

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use ebuddy pro for my IM needs. It works great for msn messenger!. (works for lots of other things too, like aim, Facebook, etc. But I only use msn).

Theres no delay on it either. If I'm signed into to msn on my pc and on my iPod through ebuddy, the messages arrive both places at the same time. =)

1 problem it does have though. if you get a push notification from a different app, and you leave it on your screen, then when you get a message on ebuddy, it doesn't make the sound saying someone messaged you. and when you look at your iPod and notice the message and click to view it, it'll say you received the message at that time. Even if they sent it an hour before, and they are no longer online lol.

Still I love ebuddy, I'd definitely give it a go =)

Sent from my iPod touch using iPF

OP
T

the.lost.one

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I see. I wonder if these apps use their servers to push notifications to iPad and the apps do not connect directly to the services. Because in that case the fact that I am outside the US could play a part in my getting late notifications

Most reactions

Latest posts