What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Newbie here

depapepe

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey guys.
I am considering about buying the new iPad Mini, mainly purpose for reading, not sure how it works compared to Kindle.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hey guys.
I am considering about buying the new iPad Mini, mainly purpose for reading, not sure how it works compared to Kindle.

Hello and welcome to the forum! :) Now, I cannot comment at all about the Kindle, but just upgraded my wife from an original iPad Mini to the Mini 4 (today in fact!) - the 'retina' resolution on this device is outstanding, so as a 'reader' you would certainly be happy (can't really comment on a comparison but check HERE for a better discussion) - her new iDevice is 64 GB and Wi-Fi only, so MANY more uses than just reading, SO price may be an issue for you (not sure) and the non-reading features might impact, so again not sure? You many want to tell us i you just want an inexpensive device to read or one that will provide many more options, which the iPad might be a better 'fit' for you. Dave

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Well, I sum it up this way.

The e-paper based Kindles are supperior devices for reading. The battey lasts longer, and you can easily read them in direct sunlight.

The iPad is solid in-door reading experience. It's main advantage is that you can get content from many more sources (as well as Amazon).

The tablet Kindles combine the weakness of both devices. They have more limited content (book wise) and are harder to read outdoors. But they do give you better access to Amazon's other content and Prime services.

So;

If you want the best ebook reading experience, and don't mind only getting Amazon''s content (which is the largest ebook store), it's pretty hard to beat their cheaper e-paper Kindles.

If you wan't more than ebooks, and/or more content choices; then the iPad is hard to beat.

If you want more than ebooks, but are willing to settle for Amazon's content (or really like their Prime services), then a Kindle tablet will save you some money.

I choose the iPad, but then I'm not just reading ebooks.

Most reactions

Latest posts