What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New to site

stevesandy50

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi al
Great to be here!
I love my iPad and use it daily the only problem I have recently encountered is my maps app isn't working anymore.
This is an app I love and use constantly, can anyone help me please ??
Steve

fleur07

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Welcome to our forum! We hope you enjoy your time with us. If you have any questions, the Search feature will be your best friend. If that doesn't work, just wait someone will be around with the answers you seek. With over 200,000 members I'm sure someone will be able to help you.

While you're *looking around *here are a few links you may find useful.

We have an iPad manual available for download incase you ever need it.
Apple - Support - Manuals

Did you know we have our own App - Its pretty easy to use.
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/discussion-forum-for-ipad/id412896524?mt=8

We also have a gaming section. There is bound to be something there you like.
iPad Games
iPad Game Specific

Last but not least. Everyone has to play by the rules here. Please read them and keep them in mind when you post. http://www.ipadforums.net/forum-rules-help-info/2119-forum-rules-everybody-please-read.html

Again Welcome and We hope you Enjoy Your Time Here!

Fleur

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
When you have problems with an app it's a good idea to clear it from RAM.

Close/Clear the app: With the problem app closed, double tap on the Home button to get the multitask bar. Tap and hold on any icon in the bar until they jiggle, then tap the minus sign on the problem app. This will remove it from RAM and insure a clean start the next time you launch the app.

If that does not work try a restart,

Restart: Hold down the power button until the power off slider appears. Slide it off. When the iPad finishes shutting down, hold down the power button again until the Apple logo appears. Apple recommends you restart the iPad at least once a month.

and then a reset if that does not work.

Reset: Hold down the power and home buttons until the Apple logo appears. The iPad will reboot. This usually takes a bit longer than a restart.

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
stevesandy50 said:
Thanks, I hope so too.

Steve

Are your maps now working after following Twerppoet's advice?

Let us know if it's now been fixed

iPad 2 3G 64gb

OP
S

stevesandy50

iPF Noob
Reaction score
leelai said:
Are your maps now working after following Twerppoet's advice?

Let us know if it's now been fixed

iPad 2 3G 64gb

Yes thanks, I rebooted my iPad and it's back to factory settings.
I am an idiot though, I didn't save all my photos and have subsequently lost them into the big black hole of the never never?
Apparently I should have saved them first to icloud ?? Does this sound right?
Steve
Thanks again Twerppoet

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
stevesandy50 said:
Yes thanks, I rebooted my iPad and it's back to factory settings.
I am an idiot though, I didn't save all my photos and have subsequently lost them into the big black hole of the never never?
Apparently I should have saved them first to icloud ?? Does this sound right?
Steve
Thanks again Twerppoet

Restarting or resetting would not cause you to lose anything at all. A reset is just like rebooting a PC, there are no changes.

What's happened to your photos, did you do a backup at all?

iPad 2 3G 64gb

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
No problem. Glad to help.

iCloud isn't really a place to save photos; at least not yet. The Photo Stream service is a temporary place, designed to keep your devices synced. It does not store your photos permanently. While the Camera Roll should be backed up (if you are backing up to iCloud), this isn't something you can restore to the iPad individually. You'd have to restore the entire iPad to get them, so it's there, but should be reserved as a worst case fall back.

You'd be better off downloading them to your computer, or using an online service like Flickr, Picasa, or PhotoBucket. (make sure you're settings save the full size).

For that matter, never forget the iPad is a mobile device. Anything you can not afford to lose should be saved somewhere else. Even if the software was perfect (and no software is), all it takes is one accident to reduce it to so much junk, and all your content will byte the dust. (pun intended).

Note: if you use Photo Stream to copy the photos to the computer, that will do the job. The pictures are not temporary on the computer side of Photo Stream.

Last edited:
OP
S

stevesandy50

iPF Noob
Reaction score
leelai said:
Restarting or resetting would not cause you to lose anything at all. A reset is just like rebooting a PC, there are no changes.

What's happened to your photos, did you do a backup at all?

iPad 2 3G 64gb

No, I didn't do a back up, the iPad went back to factory settings???
Don't know where or how to get photos back.
I think they have gone.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
stevesandy50 said:
No, I didn't do a back up, the iPad went back to factory settings???
Don't know where or how to get photos back.
I think they have gone.

If you are back to factory, you did not do the reset I described. You did a restore, or you went to Setting - General - Reset, and Erased All Contents and Settings; or your iPad did something crazy on it's own.

A reset does not erase content.

That said, if you are back to factory and have no backup the photos are gone.

OP
S

stevesandy50

iPF Noob
Reaction score
twerppoet said:
If you are back to factory, you did not do the reset I described. You did a restore, or you went to Setting - General - Reset, and Erased All Contents and Settings; or your iPad did something crazy on it's own.

A reset does not erase content.

That said, if you are back to factory and have no backup the photos are gone.

Yes, thanks Twerppeot, that, unfortunately what I did, a reboot, oh well, still learning.

Most reactions

Latest posts