What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New to apple and sorry I got apple

kennyjp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi guys the name is Kenny from Cape Town South Africa and new to the apple world .I got my Self a IPad on recomendation from a friend. But I see this thing going to endup in the dustbin. Everything I want to do needs iOS 7 there is basic very little apps for the iOS 5.1.1 witch make this IPad useless .
Very disappointed in the ipad

OP
K

kennyjp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi dhewson777 you not watching the rugby mate . Ok thanks for your post I think it is gen 1 model nr is A1337 and got it secondhand

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
You are right, the original iPad 1 cannot be upgraded to ios7, so some apps may not work with them. I'll open it up to others to comment on what apps are workable in iOS 5.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
It's just the way the market is right now. Mobile devices, especially tablets, are very new, and the technology has been advancing at a tremendous rate. Buying a four year old tablet is like buying a 10 year old computer. You can get basic stuff done, but it's not going to do what the newer devices can do.

Apple has quadrupled the RAM in iPads since the first generation, and doubled the CPU speed every single year over the last four years; with the last year seeing them move from a 32bit processor to a 64 bit processor. That doesn't even account for the new, better hardware: screen resolution, LTE radios, faster wi-fi, etc.

It is slowing down. People have been hanging on to their iPad 2's for a couple years without too many problems. The iPad 3 and 4 are still good tablets to have. I expect the iPad Air will do me fine for at least two years. It will be the first time I haven't upgraded every year.

n4uau

iPF Novice
Reaction score
"You are right, the original iPad 1 cannot be upgraded to ios7"

Not even with cable to PC and itunes??? That is how you used to have to do upgrades.

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
"You are right, the original iPad 1 cannot be upgraded to ios7" Not even with cable to PC and itunes??? That is how you used to have to do upgrades.

An iPad 1 can only be updated to 5.1.1......that is the last update it will ever receive.

To the OP.....I'm sorry you now find yourself in this position....an iPad is a wonderful device but as you have bought the very first iPad, it is very limited now in what it can do. It really is how Twerppoet has said, the iPad 1 is now very old in technology terms.

Your best bet is to try to sell it and buy a newer iPad......

zstairlessone

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have an iPad 3 and can upgrade to iOS7 if I choose, but still run iOS 5.1.1 on it. I have, currently on the iPad, many apps with hundreds of thousands available that should do what ever you need. The hard part is searching for only apps that work with 5.1.1 or earlier versions.

If you get/have an iPhone with a later version of iOS and you install an iOS7 (or 6) program on it you can download the earlier version onto your iPad. You don't need to keep the new version on your phone either. That is what I do for some of the newer programs.

Most reactions

Latest posts