What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Mailboxes in iOS5?

Heaviside

iPF Novice
Reaction score
According to the iOS5 manual:

"Add a mailbox:
Go to the mailboxes list, tap Edit, then tap New Mailbox."

The implication seems to be that I can now add and name new mailboxes/folders in iPad Mail.

But I can't see an "edit" button when I am in the mailboxes list.

Another "gotcha" for us neanderthal iPad 1 owners?

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Select the Account you want to add a new mailbox in, then you will get the Edit button. Accounts are listed in the bottom section.

OP
Heaviside

Heaviside

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Select the Account you want to add a new mailbox in, then you will get the Edit button. Accounts are listed in the bottom section.

Thanks---but if I select the account, then only "delete," "move," and "mark" buttons appear. No "new mailbox" button!

Davidsanders

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Heaviside said:
Thanks---but if I select the account, then only "delete," "move," and "mark" buttons appear. No "new mailbox" button!

I had the same thing happen.

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Those are not even options when you are down in the Account section unless you are down another folder level... You need to be at the top level in the Account section, not in the Inbox or in any other folder.

You can create top level folders, not subfolders.

-t

grimble

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Add mailbox

Those are not even options when you are down in the Account section unless you are down another folder level... You need to be at the top level in the Account section, not in the Inbox or in any other folder.

You can create top level folders, not subfolders.

-t

Not sure where you are suggesting we need to be to create a new box. I can only see 3 pages in mail:
The message window.
A mailbox list showing the Inbox, Sent and Trash but with no EDIT button.
The Inbox which shows messages and an EDIT button but..... This only gives the three choices of Move, Mark or Delete.

I can find no page listing Accounts as you suggest.

Are you using the NEW iPad?

Mike

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Not sure where you are suggesting we need to be to create a new box. I can only see 3 pages in mail:
The message window.
A mailbox list showing the Inbox, Sent and Trash but with no EDIT button.
The Inbox which shows messages and an EDIT button but..... This only gives the three choices of Move, Mark or Delete.

I can find no page listing Accounts as you suggest.

Are you using the NEW iPad?

Mike

You're looking in the wrong place, sounds like.

To add an account, go to Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars > Add Account.

If you're asking something different, like adding a mailbox under an existing account, from the mail app, go to Accounts (the second group of email accounts), tap on whichever account you want to add to, hit Edit and you should see New Mailbox appear on the lower right. This works for only some email accounts, such as Gmail.

Last edited:

vsstanton

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Worked or me...awesome...went to the bottom list of my email accts...selected yahoo, selected edit, the at the bottom, new mailbox, named it and I have a new folder in My yahoo account....simple and great!

grimble

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Having just changed my isp and hence my email account, I now understand what you are saying. Your instructions work with YAHOO which I am now using BUT NOT with my old emails account (demon) or with another POP account I still use.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Having just changed my isp and hence my email account, I now understand what you are saying. Your instructions work with YAHOO which I am now using BUT NOT with my old emails account (demon) or with another POP account I still use.

The one thing Apple doesn't tell you (or maybe they do in the fine print...) is that making new folders on the iPad does not work with POP accounts. This particular function only works with IMAP or Exchange accounts.

Hope that clarifies...

Marilyn

Tuttle

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I use an alternative email app called iBismail, which allows you to add and manage new folders. Unfortunately, it is still tied into the Apple iOS email app---so you have to periodically go in and delete od mail.

Most reactions

Latest posts