What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New kid on the block

Janset

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi all.

Just a short note to get acquainted.

I have just purchased a second hand iPad 2 and seeing that I am a long time Windows user, the Apple (iPad) system is completely new to me so any and all help will be appreciated. The main reason that I purchased the iPad for was to use with an navigation program while 4 WDing in the outback. The last trip I made "out there" another guy was using the same model iPad that I now own and he was very pleased with it's performance. I hope I will be too. :D

Regards

fleur07

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Welcome to our forum! We hope you enjoy your time with us. If you have any questions, the Search feature will be your best friend. If that doesn't work, just wait someone will be around with the answers you seek. With over 200,000 members I'm sure someone will be able to help you.

While you're *looking around *here are a few links you may find useful.

We have an iPad manual available for download incase you ever need it.
Apple - Support - Manuals

Did you know we have our own App - Its pretty easy to use.
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/discussion-forum-for-ipad/id412896524?mt=8

We also have a gaming section. There is bound to be something there you like.
iPad Games
iPad Game Specific

Last but not least. Everyone has to play by the rules here. Please read them and keep them in mind when you post. http://www.ipadforums.net/forum-rules-help-info/2119-forum-rules-everybody-please-read.html

Again Welcome and We hope you Enjoy Your Time Here!

Fleur

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
OP
Janset

Janset

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi there leelai.

Always nice to get a reply. My iPAD is an iPad 2 Wi-Fi + 3G 64 Gig with the 5.1 upgrade, I think that is the one. I am told that it is the latest. I will have a look at that App.

The App that the guy from the 4WD club was using is VMS 4 x 4 Navigation, and he had terrific results, The only downside to that App is that it costs about $149. I wonder if it is possible to share that App that way reducing it to half price.. Hmm?

Regards

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Janset said:
Hi there leelai.

Always nice to get a reply. My iPAD is an iPad 2 Wi-Fi + 3G 64 Gig with the 5.1 upgrade, I think that is the one. I am told that it is the latest. I will have a look at that App.

The App that the guy from the 4WD club was using is VMS 4 x 4 Navigation, and he had terrific results, The only downside to that App is that it costs about $149. I wonder if it is possible to share that App that way reducing it to half price.. Hmm?

Regards

On your app question, no I'm afraid you can't share apps, although you can with family members. You need the same Apple ID to update them. Yes some of the navigation apps are very expensive but apparently very good. That app he has must be a specialized one for off road driving, which would be great.

As you have a 3G iPad do you know that you don't need to have an activated sim to utilize the GPS as the chip is built into the iPad. This way you can map a route to take before leaving home and let the GPS guide you. There is another app called Maps with Me with which you can download the maps you need beforehand to use. Mind you some of these maps are quite large but can be stored on your PC until you need them on the iPad. Hope this helps.

OP
Janset

Janset

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi leelai.

Now that it good info. Plotting a route beforehand does make thing easier at times.

I am aware that there is a GPS chip in the 3G iPad, this was impressed on me by my friend on the last trip

Pardon my ignorance but what do you mean by "an activated sim"?

I know a mobile phone will not work without a SIM card, does it mean that the GPS will work even when there is no mobile phone facility reception, it must be, as where we were in the bush there definitely was no mobile reception.

Regards

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Janset said:
Hi leelai.

Now that it good info. Plotting a route beforehand does make thing easier at times.

I am aware that there is a GPS chip in the 3G iPad, this was impressed on me by my friend on the last trip

Pardon my ignorance but what do you mean by "an activated sim"?

I know a mobile phone will not work without a SIM card, does it mean that the GPS will work even when there is no mobile phone facility reception, it must be, as where we were in the bush there definitely was no mobile reception.

Regards

Yes that is what I mean, you do not need a charged Sim at all for GPS to work. Meaning it doesn't cost a thing, you have the facility already. I go out bush myself on long drives and use GPS all the time

Most reactions

Latest posts