What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My ipad1 keeps crashing when trying to use itunes, apps

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iPad 1 has only 256 MBs of RAM, which is easily overtaxed by later versions of firmware and apps. Try closing all unnecessary apps, and restarting and resetting your iPad. http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1430

Even with that, you might still experience crashes. I know my iPad 1 crashes more frequently than my iPad 2, even on the identical websites, because iPad 2 has twice as much RAM.

Last edited:

savage13

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Kaykaykay said:
iPad 1 has only 256 MBs of RAM, which is easily overtaxed by later versions of firmware and apps. Try closing all unnecessary apps, and restarting and resetting your iPad. http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1430

Even with that, you might still experience crashes. I know my iPad 1 crashes more frequently than my iPad 2, even on the identical websites, because iPad 2 has twice as much RAM.

I've had the same Problem only recently, and only with iTunes and the app store. It's unfathomable that Apple apps are causing problems. I'll try your suggestions though to see if they work. No problems at all with Safari or Face Book.

savage13

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've had the same Problem only recently, and only with iTunes and the app store. It's unfathomable that Apple apps are causing problems. I'll try your suggestions though to see if they work. No problems at all with Safari or Face Book.

Nope, no such luck. I wish Apple would address this.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
savage13 said:
Nope, no such luck. I wish Apple would address this.

I'm afraid they can't, the limited RAM on the iPad 1, combined with the larger apps requiring more and more memory to function properly will result in the problem getting worse with time. If the apps you currently use are functioning satisfactorily, you don't have to update them if you don't want to. You should also make it a habit of closing all apps not currently being used in order to free up as much memory as possible.

ashlora

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Try resetting it, Reset iPad and try closing unnecessary apps.....

savage13

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Try resetting it, Reset iPad and try closing unnecessary apps.....

I've resest many times - do you mean doe a "restore"?

Everyone mentions closing apps. How do you "close" an app on iPad1? Wouldnt a turning the unit off or performing a hard-reset turn off all apps?

And, I can understand other apps getting more complex and larger for the newer iPad models, but come on - the iTunes store? No other app crashes - only Apples stores. It doesnt make any sense for Apple to make an app that prevents people from buying music, apps, and video from them. That would be a poor business move - and I'm not spending $700 every 2 years to deal with a built in obsolesence sales strategy.

Charbarot

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have had this problem since I upgraded to the IOS 5 version. It's very disappointing. I have helpline capability with apple so when I contacted them they said the same thing..reset..make sure I close out programs..don't have too many pages opened at a time. To no avail. Thinking of looking into a new tablet. Doing research now on which one to go with. Dealing with crashes this often is way to much stress. Not to mention I hear and have read here, it's happening on the iPad 2 as well...just not as often. Time to move on

Charbarot

iPF Noob
Reaction score
With my iPad, yes. Ever since I did the IOS 5.1.1 upgrade. I called Apple support and do/did everything they suggested. On about the third time I called, I spoke with a rep that finally said this was an ongoing problem with iPad 1..there would be no patch for it and suggested I upgrade. Very disappointing. Not to mention after I discovered this app and started reading the forums...it also appears to be an issue with iPad 2...just not as much...but it still does it.

Most reactions

Latest posts