What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Facefook app crashing

wpwolfe

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Facebook app keeps crashing. Tried closing app, logging out and back in, uninstalled and reinstalled.
IPad 1 running iOS 5.1.1.

Nakedbabytoes

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It is probably your RAM memory getting overloaded by the sheer visual content of FB. If I ever have issues on my 3, it is with FB(app or Safari based) and having too many apps open at the same time, using too much memory. What can help is to double click home to open the system tray, long hold your finger down on an icon(any one is fine) until they start to wiggle with negative signs on them, then close them by touching the negative sign. This will free up active memory for you to utilize for what ever app is on your screen & using. Then reopen either safari or your FB app and go that route.
You will still have crashes, just not as many or as often, if you are mindful of your system tray apps & closing them frequently.

OP
W

wpwolfe

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have done this several times. The app won't stay open for more than about 30 seconds.

Nakedbabytoes said:
It is probably your RAM memory getting overloaded by the sheer visual content of FB. If I ever have issues on my 3, it is with FB(app or Safari based) and having too many apps open at the same time, using too much memory. What can help is to double click home to open the system tray, long hold your finger down on an icon(any one is fine) until they start to wiggle with negative signs on them, then close them by touching the negative sign. This will free up active memory for you to utilize for what ever app is on your screen & using. Then reopen either safari or your FB app and go that route.
You will still have crashes, just not as many or as often, if you are mindful of your system tray apps & closing them frequently.

Czevski

iPF Novice
Reaction score
When closing all apps in the tray doesn't work, sometimes restarting or rebooting will help. To restart, hold the sleep button until the red slider appears, then slide to turn off. After the turning circle finishes, restart holding the sleep button until the apple appears. The reboot is a last option - don't worry nothing is lost - hold the sleep and home buttons until the apple appears.

Nakedbabytoes

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Good tip^^^^^

If you have tried uninstall & reinstall, system tray closing of unused apps, and a reboot, then the last resort is one of two things:
Restore your iPad.
Or
Use another FB app. Have you read the reviews about the app you are using? Do other iPad 1 owners have the same issue you do? It might just not work for your device correctly anymore. There are other FB apps you could try or go the safari browser or chrome browser route instead. I only used my FB app when I wanted to post pics.

Most reactions