my Ipad 3 doesn't charge from USB2

Discussion in 'iPad 3 Forum' started by guybc, Apr 8, 2012.

1. Lunar

Lunar
    Expand Collapse

I'm using a Gigabyte GA68XP-UD3P board which supports USB-3 and like Gigabytes other recent boards boast they can charge iPads, but the truth is a different matter. Yes my board does just about manage enough current to remove the 'Not Charging' message. on my iPad. but TBH it can be a little hit or miss affair, for example by just using a 2m long cable instead of the standard 1m cable the 'Not Charging message pops up again.. it's that finicky.

Personally I'd forget all about serious thoughts of charging the iPad from USB, as even on USB 3 equiped boards it's not that brilliant.. It will charge the iPad.. even when the 'Not Charging' message is displayed.. it's just so slow, and if the iPad is being used it will likely not put sufficient in to prevent it draining, or at best... just about hold it's own.

#11 Lunar, Apr 9, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 9, 2012
  2. zman

zman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    From my experience with the Asus Aicharger, the "Not Charging" message on the iPad 1 and 3 does NOT show up.

3. ColtsSN

ColtsSN
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Right, I've used the program on my cheap Acer laptop with my iPad2 for a year without any issues on either device. I've been using it with the New, also with no problems. I'm only vouching for my experience. I'd suggest anyone using any program do their own research to ensure they're not damaging their PC.

4. zphone

zphone
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Just tried it and it works! Brilliant!

5. biobunny

biobunny
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    The iPad not showing up in Windows Explorer is normal, although I think it's suppose to show up as a camera to transfer files.

Sent from K48