What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Music production\editing\DJ apps

kundalinichi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello, I am loving my new iPad (got on black friday). I am running iOS4.2 and am waiting for a untethered jailbreak, till then im staying legit.

I made this post cause I am wondering if any of you have found production\editing apps that you use on your iPad. Here are a few that I have found, the first ones being my favorites. i mostly make dubstep\electronic type songs.

Korg iMS-20 - classic but amazing recreation of the MS-20 analog synth. It produces great sound and you can download session data of songs created by iMS-20 and uploaded to soundcloud and then edit\manipulate the data to your liking. It has a zoom function for those of you who cant see well. Overall my favorite production app, and ofcourse you can bounce\export your sounds you made.

Korg iElectribe - I use this for making beats mostly, it is a recreation of the Electribe-MX drum machine, but you can make awesome sounding beats and songs in it. Very dynamic and sound is great.

Akai Pro Synthstation - This one was hard to put here, because its UI is so horrible to navigate to create wht you want, but it has awesome effects\drum sounds in it, in which you can assign to a 16 key MPC style pad layout, and so much more. Id only give it 2 or 3 stars though cause of the hard to navigate and use UI.

ElectroBeats by David Guetta - I downloaded this last night (full version is 10$) and almost immeadtly upgraded to full version. You can make awesome electronic music in it with its samples included. I emailed customer support and they do not have the agenda to make you able to set your own samples (.wav, ogg, whatever) to the pads to make your own custom beats. Still a good amount of pre-set samples though.

Beatwave - the instruments aren't the best, but oyu can create cool sounding music with it. Grid morpher function is awesome.

Virtuoso piano free - the best free piano app Ive found yet. very simple but great sounds.

Soundrop - Can create cool rhythms on the go, and it is fun to use. free version is useable.

I am going to be buying Seline HD soon, it seems like a amazing app for production. I am torn whether i should buy djay, its got a high price tag.. also, if any of you have messed with them, which would you reccomend between the choice of iSequence and Looptastic HD?

Thanks for reading, ready to hear your comments!

OP
K

kundalinichi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just downloaded Looptastic HD - i love the fact im able to import my own .wav files and use them as loops and one-shotters. This is truely a awesome and dynamic app with tons of free samples\loops.

Santelia

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Currently I'm working on a giutar learning app, so I'm taking often a look at new apps in the music arena.
IMHO it seems that the developers didn't yet enter the big game for music composing. I mean no top quality products. The few good ones are about playng, not about producing.
Hope things will change.

chowdown

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Most interesting music apps (production)

Hi kundalinichi, here's the fruit of some research I did a few weeks back. The apps with asterisks are the ones with best reviews. So far I have iElectribe, Rebirth, MoltenDrums and AC 7 (remote control for Logic). All of these programs are great to one extent or another. Looking forward to getting iMS-20, it looks like the pick of the bunch (I like dubstep too).

Interesting iPad apps

Nanostudio $18 ***
Bebot $2.50 ***
Griid Pro $30
KORG iMS-20 $19 ***
Midi Monitor $free ***
Midi Touch ??? ***
Synthmate $3 ***
BBcut
bleep!BOX Player $13 ***
SunVox $6 ***
iElectribe $24 ***

iSequence $18 ***
AKAI SynthStation
REBIRTH RB338 $18 ***
BeatMaker
GrooveMaker $13
AC-7 Core $6

JR Hexatone Pro

Reactable mobile $13 ***

SynthStation $2.50

TouchOsc $6 ***

PatternMusic MXXIV $Free

Soundrop $free

Beatwave $free

Mixtikl $5

ChipPad $5

MultiTrack DAW $13

ProRemote $120/$23

MorphWiz $13

Aurora Sound Studio HD $48

FunkBox Drum Machine $4

Xenon Groove Synthesizer $6

Curtis for iPad $6

Jasuto Pro modular synthesizer $13

ThumbJam $9

Bloom HD $5

Seline HD Music Instrument $13

Touchable $30 ***

miniSynth PRO $13

Tek Kit HD $6

Reforge $8

Molten Drum Machine $13 ***

BeatSequencer BoomBap Edition $13

Sample Lab $10

Aura 2: Flux $2.50

Sound Yeah $6

OP
K

kundalinichi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Santelia - That may be true to some extent, it seems developers are just now realizing the potential of iOS for music editing\production. I am a beginner on software based DAW applications, so I found it extremely hard to get a working understanding of Ableton Live, which from asking many of my friends that are into DJing\producing, they said would be the best and easiest.

There may not be a "all in one" solution for composing\editing\producing, but there are upcoming apps that do exactly that. you can use the audio copy\paste feature in Looptastic HD to export your loops\beats into iSequence (which is an amazing multi track sequencer from what ive got so far - I cant put it down. It is at the top of my Music folder now.) Also, artists are also finding its potential slowly. Deadmau5 has been seen on stage using iPad for controlling (even if its just TouchOSC or another midi controlling software), also in 1-2 days the Gorillaz will be releasing an album supposedly created and produced SOLELY on the iPad. Which is pretty amazing, IMO. I am quite ready to hear it, and find out what apps they used...!

@chowdown, awesome list, I found some apps like ChipTune that ive seen on videos but could not identify. Thanks for the list, I hope it helps others also! Seline HD looks promising, especially with its layout configuration, I have not yet purchased it, waiting to see how it evolves and how the community likes it.

I completely reccomend iMS-20. It has been an awesome learning experience to use, and it can create some awesome sounds. the soundcloud integration makes it that much better, being able to download session data of others that have used and uploaded tracks with it. I can create synth lines, bounce them to .wav, and integrate them into Looptastic HD with a nice bassline to get a dubstep beat going, and sequence it and set up the patterns with iSequence.

touchAble looks awesome, but it seems a bit overpriced for its features seeing you could just use TouchOSC\LiveControl. I am still learning the ins and outs of Ableton Live 8 to begin with so I cant say much on its useability, but TouchOSC is awesome for the price.

Last edited:
OP
K

kundalinichi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just downloaded MorphWiz, and BassLine - i found bassline off the Gorillaz page of their new album created solely on iPad - And morphwiz off youtube videos. Two very cool apps!

also..bump!

chowdown

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The Apps used by Damon Albarn for Gorillaz "iPad album"...

Speak It!
SoundyThingie
Mugician
Solo Synth [No App Store Link Available]
Synth
Funkbox
Gliss
AmpliTube
Xenon
Korg iElectribe
BS-16i
Mellotronics M3000 HD
Cleartune
iOrgel HD
Olsynth
StudioMini XL
BassLine
Harmonizer
Dub Siren Pro
Moog Filatron [No App Store Link Available]

FileSpnr

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i like Intua Beatmaker

and I think DJAY is absolutely worth $20

ixhumni

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There's a new one SynthTronica that allows to import our own samples and transform them..;)
Best Regards

JonnyFlash

iPF Noob
Reaction score
the new Quixpin 2.0 dj app is supposed to allow the use of a midi controller. On their site they show it used with a vestax spin. That will be an interesting set up. I personally am looking forward to using the Ipad with the Numark idj Live controller along with the Djay software

OP
K

kundalinichi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
new apps that I enjoy are:
OMGuitar
Wi Guitar
SynthX (must have)
Garageband (autoplay is sweet)
Beatmaker 2
Pianist Pro
Seline (fun to play around with)
NLog Synth PRO (will be sweet when Synthstation 49 comes out)
Funkbox drum machine
LoopJ (has potential)
Ive been playing with rebirth.. I know its an older one but it has alot of potential once you learn to use it
50in1 Piano (alot of instruments, has a cool play-along mode with alot of good classical pieces (left and right hands seperated for easier learning on smaller screen)
ive seen synthtronica in action in videos, it looks powerful, just havent got around to using it yet. its multitouch filter looks sweet.

enjoy! also like "iPad Music" on facebook for constant updates of videos of anything iPad music\new apps\etc. you can also post something cool you find and they will repost it as a update if they find it cool. enjoy!

iag

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Has anyone attempted to integrate their IPAD with a Vestax Computer Interface MIDI Controller? Wondering if this has been done before.

ipadreview

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There is a bunch of good ones that I like, but the garageband app for the iPad 2 is still pretty awesome

denverpilot

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sorry maybe a silly question, but I'm hunting for something simple, I think.

I have various audio files that I need to just listen through then cut and put in a single file.

Input can be just about any format since they are coming from the desktop machine.

Basically looking for Audacity for iPad or its little cousin to free me from doing simple listen throughs and splices at my desk of mostly spoken-word audio.

Any thoughts?

Rolf Harris

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Great thread, lots to look at and think about.

I'm looking for something along the lines of a portable MPC for producing hiphop stylee beats. So far iMaschine seems to be the pick of the bunch, anyone else tried anything in this field?

Most reactions

Latest posts