What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Music OCR scanning for iPad HD?

danielmramos

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Michael, I have been looking for exactly that functionality myself. I do not know if it will meet your needs; however; Steinway and Sons makes an app called Etude (Etude — Home). The app does not allow you to directly scan in sheet music for playback; however, they do offer a submission / request service. I have written them myself to find out what the details are. Please let me know if you find anything. Of course there was an iphone app released in the Japanese app store by Kuwai. On another note, from the research I have done the best solution I have seen for this is Finale 2012 for Mac OS X (http://www.finalemusic.com). Of course it is not an iOS app; however, it does give you an idea of what a quality software system that handles music OCR and playback is worth. I do not know if there is an incentive for them to develop an iOS version, since they will obviously not be able to charge nearly as much for an iOS version. If you look at the requirements of Finale 2012 you can see that it could easily be developed for the iPad. The iPad exceeds all of Finale's hardware requirements. Heck, even the iPad 2 exceeds its specs. They do have a free trial version you can have a go at (Finale Free Trial Download - Music Composition and Notation Software). I will be trying the trial version myself.

iOS App Scans Printed Music Notes, Plays Them In Real-Time (Video) | TechCrunch

Last edited:

danielmramos

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I downloaded Finale for OS X and will try it out this weekend. I also wrote to the Etude developers to see what their request process was like.

Most reactions

Latest posts