What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Microscope for iPad

LannyC

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I see prices for wifi microscopes have fallen a bit, but I still haven't seen one under US$100. Anyone have experience with a portable 'scope that displays on an iPad? There are dozens of cheap borescopes, but they don't seem to offer any magnification, and I'd like at least 50X. AFAIK, USB is still unusable by an iOS device.

The principal purpose would be to show minute details of hummingbirds to folks who attend my public banding demonstrations.

OP
LannyC

LannyC

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Thanks for the link, TP, but I don't have one. There are actually wifi eyepiece replacements for microscopes and telescopes already, not cheap.

I was just hoping a sufficient market might have developed to bring the price of a wifi microscope down under $50.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Well, there are some really cheap clip-on microscopes for the iPhone. Some of them could probably be used with the iPad, though you would need to set up some kind of stand to keep things steady. I don't know what the quality would be, but some of them are cheap enough that you might be willing to take the chance.

Something like this, perhaps:
https://www.amazon.com/TEQStone-Mic...1482292011&sr=8-15&keywords=microscope+iPhone

There are lots of really cheap optical microscops that mighrt work with an adaptor similar to the Snapzoom, but the final price would probably add up to more than $50, and the quality no better than the cheap clip-ons.

Other than that, you are right. I don't see wi-fi microscopes priced under $50.

OP
LannyC

LannyC

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Last night, I ordered some stuff to try: a $19 USB microscope and a $32 "wifi box" to convert the USB video signal to wifi. They are not specifically advertised to work together, but if they do my goal will be achieved. If not, I'll keep the 'scope for my iMac and send the wifi box back.

Dirty little secret: this project began as a way to pad an Amazon order to $49 to get free shipping. No, I don't suppose anyone else has ever done such a thing before... ;)

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Good luck, and please let us know how it works out. I saw some of those USB microsopes, and was tempted to give them a try myself. They show them hooked up to an Android phone and said they would work with Windows or Macs, but there were no claimes for iOS devices.

Though if you can get one to work with your Mac, you could probably use a remote desktop app and screenshots to get picture on the iPad. Mind, I have no idea why you would want to do that when you'd probalby have to be sitting right next to the Mac anyway, but it could be done. :)

OP
LannyC

LannyC

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I want to use it in the field, at outdoor bird banding demonstrations, to help attendees learn more about hummingbirds by showing them magnified details of a bird held in my hand. It should be a powerful tool to engage their curiosity, especially with children. If I had a laptop or Android tablet, I'd just plug the scope into its USB port. But the only way to get its image onto an ipad is apparently over a wifi connection. The gizmo is a actually a wifi server that creates its own local network, not on the Internet.

I'll post results here when the stuff arrives, in a week or two.

Most reactions

Latest posts