What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Memory

Hesslerperez

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a 16gb ipad4...currently I have 11.6 gb used in memory...my question is what happened to the rest of my memory? I don't have much stored in my contacts so I don't see that as the reason to why my memory is missing?

Attachments

• image-1650500804.jpg
    image-1650500804.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 739

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hesslerperez said:
I have a 16gb ipad4...currently I have 11.6 gb used in memory...my question is what happened to the rest of my memory? I don't have much stored in my contacts so I don't see that as the reason to why my memory is missing?

You don't have missing memory, the memory you can't account for is used by the operating system, stock apps, etc..

OP
Hesslerperez

Hesslerperez

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the quick response sir...but still couldn't get it...is it to much to ask if you could explain it in laymans term...sorry...lol

Beards

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks for the quick response sir...but still couldn't get it...is it to much to ask if you could explain it in laymans term...sorry...lol
The size of an iPads quoted memory be that 16, 32, 64 128GB would never ever ever be that size when you first switch on your machine.

The reason behind this is because in order for you to see something on the screen requires first an Operating System (iOS), Applications (the default Programs that came with your iPad) and any other additional data that you yourself have not put on (explanation files etc etc).

All of these items will consume part of the memory your machine came with.
Thus a 16GB iPad user would find after all of these items have been installed roughly 4.4GB of data has been lost....
It is not lost as in "where the heck is it" but more as in it is consumed by the iPad's memory chip (16GB in your case).

Does that make it simpler?

Wolfpuppies3

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iPad 4's have 1 GB of memory. RAM. All of them. The storage is what you refer to and a good bit of that, especially the 16 GB storage model, is used up with the iOS and non removable Apps. You will not have access to that storage as it is already occupied.

Beards

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Wolfpuppies3 said:
iPad 4's have 1 GB of memory. RAM. All of them. The storage is what you refer to and a good bit of that, especially the 16 GB storage model, is used up with the iOS and non removable Apps. You will not have access to that storage as it is already occupied.

Okay, I said memory when it should have been storage.... Slip of the tongue or pen that's all.
The question was answered and understood that's all that counts.

Most reactions

Latest posts