What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Memory Stolen from your iPad - Did you Know that ?

peled

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There are really nice applications that can run on your iPad. Only problem is that you never know how much memory it is using on your device.
The Apple iOS wouldn't let you guess.
It is especially true when it is a program that accumulate data like news applications.
One of the most popular programs is "Flipboard" It is collecting data from various targets (Facebook is one of them) , and present it as a colorful magazine .

Since I JB my iPAD I could use an exelent iPhone application Called Appinfo.
I was amazed to find out that my Flipboard accumulated already 750,000,000 Bytes.
yes. it is 3/4 Giga Bytes .

Found out some more amazingly hungry applications.
In the Normal IOS, there is np way you can find it so easily.

Take a look at the picture down below.
P.S
The purches date is all wrong. I have it since last October. Probably it is my last update date.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Attachments

• flipboard.jpg
    flipboard.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 414

Winam

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.rene-photography.de
Noce app. After the jailbreak you can install sbsettings and there you can see the "free memory" "memory in use"... And even close all apllicatins at once.

Sent from my iPad or IPhone using Tapatalk

Btw. Just installed it. Nice app.

Last edited:

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I thought Flipboard was good too when it first came out, but now I rarely use it.
Find Pulse and Taptu faster to use.

BTW Great thread title. You work in journalism? :)

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Coming from a PC background I was initially confused by the reference to "memory" when what was being discussed was "storage" on the iPad. Of course apps like Flipboard accumulate data. Likewise, my New Yorker app accumulates past issues of the magazine. That doesn't mean it is "stealing memory;" it is simply storing content. Unfortunately, of course, the absence of tools to identify and manage stored content further confuses the issue.

Apparently, Apple's "philosophy" that decrees users should not have to deal with such mundane issues as data storage is the culprit here. On my Android phone, for example, I can easily determine how much storage is consumed by an app and even whether it is stored on on an sdcard. I can easily manage such storage without "rooting," i.e. "jailbreaking" my device. Just another example of how "pc thinking" could benefit the iPad.

Most reactions

Latest posts