What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Memories

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The iPad has been kicking around a few years now, and those of us who use them have become used to the operation of these "magical pieces of glass".

So, particularly for those who have used them for several years, what habe been your defining momenta with the technology? Has the iPad changed the way you do things; made things possible that were impossible, or outrageously difficult?

My wife asked me if I wanted an iPad. My answer was pretty simple. Why would I want a big phone that couldn't make phone calls? She bought me one anyway. Mine is a 16Gb cellular iPad 2.

The fact that it's a cellular model became important, because with the cellular model, one also gets GPS. The iPad transformed the way I do my job. I've been driving trucks in many countries for over 30 years. The iPad gave me a way to find places in the Canadian oilfields, easily, quickly and safely. It was not so much lifechanging as lifesaving.

Now, my days are spent on asphalt roads, so I don't need the iPad like I used to, but it has become the control center for my home theatre, and performs the task admirably. Certainly, it's a very expensive remote control, but it has paid for itself over and over.

So over to the forum. What are your iPad memories?

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I got my first iPad in November 2011 and for me it made it much easier and far more convenient to access the Internet and forums such as this. I would take my iPad almost anywhere.

LannyC

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I bought my iPad 3 without much of a plan; I just thought they were interesting technology, and I was overdue for a new toy. To my great amusement, it's worked its way into my life in unforeseen ways, filling gaps I didn't know were there.

I don't have home theater, but I do have a respectable audio system. The Remote app persuaded me to rip my CD collection onto my iMac and buy a DAC to feed the files to my preamp via Apple TV. The downside: it's so convenient, I don't listen to LPs as often.

I keep a copy of my hummingbird banding database on the iPad, so when I recapture a previously-banded bird I can look up its original data quickly and easily.

The iPad has moved the center of my home life from my office to the recliner in my living room. It's deliciously decadent! Right now, I'm typing on my iPad while watching a live webcam mounted on a safari vehicle in South Africa (wildsafarilive.com).

My only regret is not buying the GPS model. If I had a cell phone or a laptop, the iPad's usefulness might be diluted...but I don't need a cell phone or a laptop, and the iPad is a perfect fit.

Jupiter7

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Back in 2011 I was pondering on which laptop to replace my aged PC with. A friend handed me his iPad 2 to try. I was immediately sold on it (especially the skewmorphery of the pages in iBooks)! I promptly went and bought one with 3G connectivity, which was ideal as I had no internet back then.
The MacBook was a later acquisition, then the iPhone 6S and, coming full circle, I have just treated myself to an iPad Air 2.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
In the spring of 2011, I bought my first iPad (2) and then retired a few months later, so difficult to say 'how' I may have used the device as part of my job - thus, coming from that perspective.

So as a retiree and now owner of an iPad Air 2, the device has become an everyday part of my life along w/ an Apple laptop(s) (wife uses our iMac) - what are some of my 'paddy activities': 1) Mail screening (rarely compose emails - prefer my laptop); 2) Internet browsing - check my forums, but again compose posts on my laptops; 3) Reading - both purchased books & magazines (using Zinio) - I rarely buy physical books anymore; 4) Databases (keep my diminished wine cellar & video collections on apps) & shopping list (Susan & I use AnyList); 5) Travel & Maps; and 6) Games - just a few.

Also, the iPad Air 2 has become my main travel 'computer', especially for short trips (bring along a BT keyboard if I want to compose) - on longer trips, I'll also bring my MBAir (thin & light). Dave :)

Most reactions

Latest posts