What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Maintaining iPad2 battery longevity

camman123

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Interested to know what ipad2 users recommend to keep battery life/longevity optimum.
What will be the cost to have factory replace one? :confused:
camman123

jake1974

iPF Noob
Reaction score
One thing I've read is that its better to use up most of the battery before recharging it, instead of topping it off constantly.

Tom P.

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Get a battery maintaining app like Battery Doctor Pro or Battery Magic.

Reaction score
One thing I've read is that its better to use up most of the battery before recharging it, instead of topping it off constantly.

Lithium Polymer prefers being topped off as opposed to being fully drained but will perform well in either case for a long time.
The tech support man at Apple said a battery replacement is $100
LP batteries usually get about 500 charge cycles before seeing any discernible drop in performance but that is an average, YMMV. Each time you plug your iPad into a power source is a charge cycle whether it fully charges or not.
Hope that helps

Support Our Troops!
This post was Tapatalk approved
Sent from my iPad

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
LP batteries usually get about 500 charge cycles before seeing any discernible drop in performance...
According to Apple --

battery_cycles.jpg

benitochiba

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Apple has a page with a few tips: Apple - Batteries - iPad

In particular they say:
"For proper reporting of the battery’s state of charge, be sure to go through at least one charge cycle per month (charging the battery to 100% and then completely running it down)."

Reaction score
LP batteries usually get about 500 charge cycles before seeing any discernible drop in performance...
According to Apple --

battery_cycles.jpg

Properly maintained is the key .
My Apple care covers my battery for 2 years so I'm just going to charge mine like I do my phones
I wonder if the Ipad having 2 batteries is why 1k vs 500?
Support Our Troops!!
This post was Tapatalk approved. Sent from my Incpad

Last edited:

majura

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If, for whatever reason you were to leave your iPad unused for a long period of time (say you're going on a gadget-free 2 week holiday) then leaving the battery charge at around 50% is ideal for battery health.

Agree though that with Li batteries, you don't want to be draining all the way and then recharging all the time. Ideally try to avoid going below 20-30%.

OP
camman123

camman123

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks Tim,
Excellent reading!
Think I will start charging to 95 percent.
Camman123

Wookiee2cu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I try to let mine get under 15% before I throw it on a charger. Right now that gives me about 3-4 days worth of use and it's rated for 1,000 charges so that should give me several years worth of use as far as the battery is concerned.

1million

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I try to keep mines charged since I play a lot of games with Push Notifications.

manitou

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you want the technical 'low down' on Lithium Ion batteries, have a look here...

Charging lithium-ion batteries – Battery University

Tim
Scotland

Thanks for posting this Tim. Guess I should start charging with the iPad turned off...

A portable device should be turned off while charging. This allows the battery to reach the threshold voltage unhindered and reflects the correct saturation current responsible to terminate the charge. A parasitic load confuses the charger.

Most reactions

Latest posts