Macbook pro vs macbook air

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by applechick, Jul 4, 2012.

1. applechick

applechick
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Thinking of getting one or the other. Thing is I have a MacBook that I hardly use. Most of the time I use my iPad. But I am still considering another laptop would like to know from others if they recommend one over the other? Thanks!

2. dhewson777

dhewson777
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    If you hardly use your current MacBook then I would see it as a waste of money to get either. My iPad does take over a lot of what I used to do on my PC, so it gets a lot less use. Thing is, when I need to do something I cannot do easily on the iPad, it is there and sufficient to undertake the task, even if it is 3 years old.

Your current MacBook will probably see you through for a while longer when it is necessary to do something away for the iPad.

3. scotong

scotong
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    yes i also think that it is hard to monitor the mac book. Still need time to get used to it.

4. Poisonivy

Poisonivy
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    i have iPad and a macbook pro,i wouldn't be without either one,i love my mbp and iPad as great as it is could never be be my only computer,to answer the question i prefer mbp over air as i like a disc drive.

5. Gabriel1

Gabriel1
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Agreed, I have both (actually two of each.....I think I need a therapist!) and although I have the MacBook Air, I have the MacBook Air SuperDrive for the odd occasions that I need to read or write to a CD/DVD but either the Pro or the Air are excellent machines.

The Archangel

6. applechick

applechick
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    You are 100 percent right, I only use my MacBook to upload my pictures. Everything else I do on my iPad. And my white MacBook was just purchased at Christmas, right before they stopped making them.

BUT, i still want a MacBook pro or air. Can't explain it. Maybe then I will use my laptop more?!?

7. skimonkey

skimonkey
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    You def need a therapist...! :)

8. applechick

applechick
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    I have 2 personal iPads, one in black and one in white as I couldn't decide on a color. A new iMac that I personally probably used only 5 times, but I had to have it- i was tired if seeing the word DELL every time i passed my desk. My MacBook as I explained earlier was bought for Christmas and that has now turned into an overpriced photo holder.

But I STILL want a MacBook pro or air! Maybe the therapist can give us a group rate?

9. Gabriel1

Gabriel1
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I think you may be right! I have so much Apple gear that I could probably open my own Apple Store......start of therapy "my name is Gabriel, I'm an Appleoholic"......

The Archangel

10. KevinJS

KevinJS
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Some advice, please, Gab. What is the oldest Apple laptop you would consider buying? I'm sitting on a whole heap of outdated computer equipment, but want to buy a laptop so I can take more music and movies on the road with me than is practical with an iPad. Just not ready to splash out on a brand new one.