What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mac mini htpc

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm really considering getting a mac mini as a Home theater pc and using plex for media. Any else have this setup? Any opinions, is it fast enough, stable enough etc. Has anyone heard about apple maybe doing airplay for iTunes?

Any info would be appreciated.

King Hal

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes, a mac mini is great for an htpc. Try Plex but for me it didn't really work and I've stuck with iTunes and Frontrow. The main problem with Plex is that it didn't pick up a lot of my music. iTunes has over 500 artists but Plex only identified a little over 400. I use the Remote app on both iPhone and iPad to control things.

I recommend the Mini. I've used one for around five years and just upgraded to the latest server version.

OP
G

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes, a mac mini is great for an htpc. Try Plex but for me it didn't really work and I've stuck with iTunes and Frontrow. The main problem with Plex is that it didn't pick up a lot of my music. iTunes has over 500 artists but Plex only identified a little over 400. I use the Remote app on both iPhone and iPad to control things.

I recommend the Mini. I've used one for around five years and just upgraded to the latest server version.

I was thinking Remote or even Air Mouse would be good to control it from the iPad.

Thanks for the info!

NumbLock

iPF Novice
Reaction score
That idea is pure genius!

Edit: and they come with an HDMI port! Sweet!

specs_ports_20100615.jpg

Last edited:

King Hal

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes - hdmi goes into AV receiver and from there to 42" plasma, so I can play HD movies and great sound for music. An excellent solution

OP
G

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes - hdmi goes into AV receiver and from there to 42" plasma, so I can play HD movies and great sound for music. An excellent solution

I have the new Sony Google TV...I could plug it directly into the TV.

OP
G

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Man, Plex is AWESOME! And I didn't realize the Plex iPad app (which I already bought) has a remote included! Sweet! Found all my movies and shows and categorized everything. I will def use that on the Mac Mini.

OP
G

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well, I ordered my Mac Mini and an external 2TB hard drive...that should hold for a little while!

How is the stock 2GB ram amount on it? I figure it only has to do minimal tasks so that should be fine...any thoughts on upgrading?

Dannyboy85

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well, I ordered my Mac Mini and an external 2TB hard drive...that should hold for a little while!

How is the stock 2GB ram amount on it? I figure it only has to do minimal tasks so that should be fine...any thoughts on upgrading?

I had a last gen MacMini. Upgraded to 2gb ram it ran pretty fast! But the memory is pretty cheap off amazon...

OP
G

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score

I had a last gen MacMini. Upgraded to 2gb ram it ran pretty fast! But the memory is pretty cheap off amazon...

yeah I saw that...only thing is you have to replace both dimms. So I think im going to give it a try and see how it runs, if it needs more than 2GB I will up it to 8GB since I find it hard to throw away 2GB ran to only get an additional 2GB. I think it will be fine at 2 tho!

Superbike81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Have you looked into products from Popcorn Hour?

I've got the A-110, and will soon be upgrading to the A-210.

It's EXTREMELY simple to use, will play just about anything, has a great supportive community of developers, excellent support system, etc, etc.

You can either connect it to your home network and map it to a computer, or you can install a hard drive into it (which is what I did) and then load files you download onto it through the network or via USB drive. It plays 1080p flawlessly, supports things like Netflix, YouTube, and other online services.

MacMini starts at $699. Or you can get the A-210 for $199 + $100 1.5TB hard drive, still less than half price.

Seriously, everyone that I have recommended these products to absolutely loves them.

OP
G

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Have you looked into products from Popcorn Hour?

I've got the A-110, and will soon be upgrading to the A-210.

It's EXTREMELY simple to use, will play just about anything, has a great supportive community of developers, excellent support system, etc, etc.

You can either connect it to your home network and map it to a computer, or you can install a hard drive into it (which is what I did) and then load files you download onto it through the network or via USB drive. It plays 1080p flawlessly, supports things like Netflix, YouTube, and other online services.

MacMini starts at $699. Or you can get the A-210 for $199 + $100 1.5TB hard drive, still less than half price.

Seriously, everyone that I have recommended these products to absolutely loves them.

nah, i have no desire to have anything other than a mac. They just work really well. And i want to use plex. I also want it to be a real computer to play anything on it...codec and sites. Hulu...yes please.

btw, amazon has mac mini for $612

Oh and i already have a PS3 and a google tv...everything has a little issue...this way everything will work.

Last edited:

Superbike81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok, up to you.

But of all the "media player" products such as HTPC, Popcorn Hour does just about everything the best. No it's not a fully functioning PC for internet and stuff, but that's what the iPad is for :)

OP
G

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok, up to you.

But of all the "media player" products such as HTPC, Popcorn Hour does just about everything the best. No it's not a fully functioning PC for internet and stuff, but that's what the iPad is for :)

Like I said, I already have a PS3 and a Google TV....both of which are viable media solutions....neither of which are nearly as robust as a full desktop in the footprint of a Wii.

Most reactions

Latest posts