What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

lower movie size for "the New iPad" (need advice)

georgekwok

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, I would like to ask about watching movies on the iPad 3. Basically I've got some BR movies that I'd like to put on my iPad 3. However, the file sizes are humongous, going up to 10 GBs.

This time I'm not so concerned about file type (.avi, .mp4 etc.), but I'm concerned about the file size. I'd like long movies to be around 2-3 GB (max) and medium-length movies to be around 1-2 GB, but good enough quality for watching on iPad 3.
Can I "compromise" between quality and low file size? As you guys know the iPad 3 has twice the linear resolution of previous iPads, and I don't want to waste the quality available.

Is there a way where I can do this? I usually use HandBrake (on Mac) but I'm not too sure of the "variables" and sometimes I convert movies from avi to mp4 and the file size becomes 3 times as big.

Please advise, and thanks for reading! :)

Most reactions

Latest posts