What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lost notes!

nhmidge

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Help I've lost all my notes! I didn't delete them by accident! What do I do? Can I get them back?

Jockscrap

iPF Novice
Reaction score
This happened to me too. Totally disappeared off my iPad. However, I discovered that as they were linked to my mail account, the were all still in the notes folder of my mail account. I use AOL, and the notes folder in the iPad mail app doesn't receive the notes, but it does if I access AOL mail any other why, ie on my pc using the AOL program, or log in to AOL in my browser (including Safari on my iPad). Any important notes I make now, I email to myself as an extra safety back up.
I've not been able to find a reason why the notes randomly vanished in the first place though.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hello nhmidge - welcome to the forum! :)

Although I've not (yet at least) had this problem, several other posts have alluded to this situation which peaked my curiosity - some interesting discussion about the email possibilities HERE.

I just checked my Yahoo Mail account in settings and indeed there is a 'slider' option for Notes - mine is OFF, but I'm curious if notes are sent automatically to your email account when ON? Appears a good possibility, so you might want to check it out.

Of course, notes are saved during a sync but if taken away from your computer w/ iTunes, may not have been an option.

Good luck and please let us know if you find a solution - sorry! :(

Jockscrap

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The notes slider in mail settings is set to on for me, and yes, the notes automatically go to my AOL account.

I couldn't find where they are synced to in iTunes...I didn't know they were. Where would I find them, or is it only the notes that aren't linked to an email account that sync?

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The notes slider in mail settings is set to on for me, and yes, the notes automatically go to my AOL account.

I couldn't find where they are synced to in iTunes...I didn't know they were. Where would I find them, or is it only the notes that aren't linked to an email account that sync?

I'm assuming that if notes are sent to your e-mail account and are removed from the iPad (and had not been sync before), then doing a sync would not save them?

If interested, checkout this article from Apple about backups HERE - provides a listing of 'what' is placed into the backup and the location of the file depending on which type of OS you are using. Not sure that it will solve the question(s) here but does offer some clarification - :)

Jockscrap

iPF Novice
Reaction score
giradman said:
I'm assuming that if notes are sent to your e-mail account and are removed from the iPad (and had not been sync before), then doing a sync would not save them?

If interested, checkout this article from Apple about backups HERE - provides a listing of 'what' is placed into the backup and the location of the file depending on which type of OS you are using. Not sure that it will solve the question(s) here but does offer some clarification - :)

Thanks for the link.

Just to clarify, i've only had my notes on the iPad disappear once. Even though they appear immediately in my aol account, they usually remain in the aol account of my notes app until I delete them from there. The disappearance of them from the ipad didn't coincide with me connecting to iTunes as far as i'm aware...it seems to be just some strange glitch but it has certainly made me wary of keeping anything important there and there only.

BethLee

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Lost Notes

My notes were lost as I tried to view them. I put the notes back on the ipad and the next time I tried to view them they disappeared again as I was viewing them.
This happened after I got a Macbook Air and sync it with the iPad. Also in the process the Macbook Air and the iPad were set up with bluetooth. After that is when the notes disappeared from the iPad. Could the Macbook Air be using bluetooth to take the notes off the iPad and placing them on the Air email browser on it's own? It's funny how this happened right after the Mac Air was synced with iPad then set up with bluetooth. One point I should note is that the Mac Air and the iPad were not connected when the files disappeared.

Last edited:

King Bacchus

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I lost my notes too. Not only the notes I made after I switched the slider to ON, but all the ones I made before then! I don't use AOL, just the email from my Domain Service (godaddy).
I'm in trouble, man.

Most reactions

Latest posts