What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lost email app, can't get email there

Notjenna

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When I'm not staying at a farm I'm living in my As
It was a dark and stormy night...

There was a huge electrical storm right overhead when my email quit working properly but I'm just about sure that has nothing to do with my problem. Nonetheless, from then on I haven't been able to access new drafts, sent mail, etc. from that date, 4/14/2013, forward. I get the following pop-up message:

"The mail server imap.gmail.com is not responding. Verify that you have entered the correct account info in Mail settings."

I've gone through the settings and everything seems to be in order but really, I'm not totally sure sometimes what should be where. I'm in Tallahassee FL and there seems to be no iPad support here and the one Mac shop I did speak with told me it was a Google server problem and would be cleared up soon. That was a few weeks ago and it's still bollixed. I can get to gmail via the web or a recently downloaded mail app but it doesn't bring over several things, most importantly my contacts. I can send and receive email via the web gmail or the app but it's a pain doing so.

Thinking of a weekend in Jacksonville where I can visit the Genius Bar but in the meantime, any thoughts?

Thanks for any and all consideration.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
It was a dark and stormy night...

There was a huge electrical storm right overhead when my email quit working properly but I'm just about sure that has nothing to do with my problem. Nonetheless, from then on I haven't been able to access new drafts, sent mail, etc. from that date, 4/14/2013, forward. I get the following pop-up message:

"The mail server imap.gmail.com is not responding. Verify that you have entered the correct account info in Mail settings."

I've gone through the settings and everything seems to be in order but really, I'm not totally sure sometimes what should be where. I'm in Tallahassee FL and there seems to be no iPad support here and the one Mac shop I did speak with told me it was a Google server problem and would be cleared up soon. That was a few weeks ago and it's still bollixed. I can get to gmail via the web or a recently downloaded mail app but it doesn't bring over several things, most importantly my contacts. I can send and receive email via the web gmail or the app but it's a pain doing so.

Thinking of a weekend in Jacksonville where I can visit the Genius Bar but in the meantime, any thoughts?

Thanks for any and all consideration.

If you get the message "... Imap.gmail.com is not responding ...", this is supposed to be a Gmail account issue. Perhaps you should report your problem there to get it fixed.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Try deleting and re-adding your Gmail account. Us the default setup.

I was getting the same sort of errors a few days ago, after getting my iPhone replaced.

I'm guessing it had to do with Google's recent retiring of the GMail Exchange setup (which I was using). While the Exchange setup was supposed to continue to work for those who had already set their accounts up, there are a number of things that can lose you that grandfathered setup.

In my case it was the new iPhone. In your case probably just a system hiccup.

Even if this isn't your problem, deleting and re-adding the GMail account is a quick way to fix problems that 'might' be fixed other ways, but can take days to track down.

You lose nothing, since everything is stored on Google's serves, not the iPad.

Most reactions

Latest posts