What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Looking for an App to run VBA

oldpos

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi,
I am new to Apple, currently only owning an iphone but seriously considering converting from PC to iMac at home running 2 OP systems, Apple and Win 8. My problem is I am a heavy MS Excel user and have a spreadsheet that downloads figures from my local stock exchange (ASX) at the click of a button. While away from home I need an iPad that will do this job for me, if not the changeover will be impracticable. I am aware of the existence of Numbers but will Numbers handle the VBA code which drives my particular spreadsheet. I'd be very grateful for any input from other members, thanks in advance.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Numbers will not run VBA, nor to the best of my knowledge will any of the other local Office Suite compatible apps.

Microsoft has it's own apps if you are an Office 365 subscriber, but they are even more limited in features than the previous apps. Their sole pluses being compatibility and Office 365 integration.

That leaves two possible solutions (that I know of), both which will require you to have a good internet connection.

1) Remote Desktop apps. There are several of these. With a remote desktop app you are basically running everything on your own computer. The iPad is nothing but a control and viewing device. This is the most versatile, but it requires that you have a computer set up and running that you can access. I have Splashtop myself, and others have had good things to say about Logmein. There are two or three others that get good reviews, but I can't remember the names right now.

2) CloudOn or OnLive apps. These apps that run the basic Office Suite on remote servers. The files are handled via DropBox or Box. The difference between this solution and the previous one is that the app developer provides the remote computers and the apps are somewhat more touch interface friendly (though hardly optimized). I'm not certain about VBA support, but the remote Office Suite apps are actual versions of Microsoft Office, so it should be there. Needless to say do your research first. Last time i checked the basic accounts were free, so you can try before you commit to any extra charges (if you need the extras). I seem to remember people saying that CloudOn was better of the two, but you should look at both anyway, since the offer slightly different options and premium upgrades.

Last edited:
OP
oldpos

oldpos

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Many thanks twerppoet. I suspected that I might have been expecting a bit much. Now to get an ipad and check out my choices. I have a backup plan if all else fails.

Most reactions

Latest posts