What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Long agenda packages don't show up on my iPad 2

MoneyGuy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I serve on a board of directors and meeting agendas are sent by email. When I forward them to another email address to pull them up on my iPad for use in the meeting, only the first two pages show up. The entire agenda shows up on my laptop computer so it's all there but my iPad won't open the whole thing. These agendas can be 25-60 pages or more so are quite lengthy. I actually serve on two boards and this happens with both. Even the shorter ones don't fully show on my iPad. Anyone have advice or suggestions on this problem?

tmno2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would think it relates to the iPad base operating memory, being less than the overall size of the full agenda material and the required reserve to operate the viewing program.
Assuming that the agenda is emailed to you and you pick it out from the attachments to the email, why not try splitting the agenda into part 1 and part 2 attachments to the initiating email.
Then having gone through the part 1 agenda, during the coffee break you switch from part 1 to part 2.
These are just my thoughts on the matter, and should take very little effort on the part of the board secretary to trial using a tester of a past agenda.
I have no idea if it would work, but at least it would be worth a try.
Hope this is helpful.

DM51

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I suggest you ask the person who prepares these agendas to send them out as PDF files. Then when you receive them as email attachments, open them in an app called GoodReader, which is extremely good at handling PDF files and also has an excellent file structure facility so you can organise the PDFs into folders.

60-page agenda? Phew! How long does the meeting go on for?!? LOL

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If the email is plain text, I don't see how a document of a mere 60 pages would overstrain the iPad. That's not all that big. I emailed myself something about 10 to 15 pages long, and it worked fine.

I then tried forwarding the email to myself. Though it did some strange things with font colors it worked fine.

I suspect these agendas are not plain text. Is there any formatting like bold, underline, etc.?

DM51

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've noticed that companies frequently compose documents using Excel, so they can have columns for 'action' etc. Maybe that is what is doing it.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Could be. If there is HTML code in the email no telling what will happen. Especially if long tables are involved. Mail might choke on rtf too, at least until iOS 5 rolls out.

My recommendation to the OP:

When you receive the email on the first machine repackage it as a .txt .doc, or pdf file, then send the attachment to the iPad where you can view it in the appropriate app.

The easiest thing to do would be to Print the email as a PDF file. Cute PDF works for this if you don't already have a better print to PDF utility on the computer. When the iPad receives it you can open it in GoodReader (or some other PDF viewing app) where you can view it, and even annotate it if you want to.

Most reactions

Latest posts