1. Due to the recent site upgrade, the iPadForums (iPF) App will no longer work. The new iPadForums.net website has been designed from the ground up to work perfectly from any mobile, tablet, or desktop computer using the built in internet browser. Create a shortcut to iPadForums.net on your home screen by following these steps: Create an icon for iPadForums.net

Lightning Cable Teardown Reveals Chip Details

Discussion in 'Apple iPad News' started by Maura, Oct 16, 2012.

1. Maura

Maura iPadForums News Team

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +100 / 0
    [​IMG]

9to5 Mac reports that Chipworks has performed an in-depth teardown of Apple’s new Lightning cable (I love that even Apple’s cables are interesting enough to warrant teardowns!), revealing that the cable contains a TI chip, “BQ2025†(as well as several others, of course!), which is a bit of a mystery, as it is not listed on TI’s website. Looking at four other similar chips that are listed on TI’s website, Chipworks surmises that the BQ2025 could have “some security implementationâ€. 9to5 Mac says that it is also possible that the chip is used by the Lightning connector as a way of conserving electricity, perhaps by only drawing the required amount of electricity to fully charge the device, and then stopping at that point. This could be why the iPhone 5 has been found to cost just 41 cents per year for a daily charge. Chipworks goes on to say that the Lightning cable is the first secure cable that it has seen with such a security device built in.

Source: TI chip in Lightning cable could allow iOS devices to save electricity when charging | 9to5Mac
  2. AQ_OC

AQ_OC Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +430 / 0
    Despite the negativity associated with the cable change, I think Apple deserves some innovation points for the new lightning cable technology. The convenience it adds for users going forward should not be ignored.
  3. scifan57

scifan57 Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,073 / 1
    That's sure a lot of circuitry in such a small package.
  4. Munky

Munky iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    I would not have a problem with only Apple selling the cables if they offered them in longer lengths and made them in black...I HATE white electronics and accessories.
  5. AQ_OC

AQ_OC Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +430 / 0
    Me too, at least for cables and earphones/buds. they just stand out too much.
  6. scifan57

scifan57 Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,073 / 1
    You're in a bit of a quandary then, considering the vast majority of accessories Apple makes for iDevices, other than cases and smart covers are white. Maybe they should offer black cables and other accessories for black iPads.