What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Laptop has died, can I unsync?

Lorelie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello, i'm new and have joined because I can't find the answer to my problem on the Apple support pages.

The laptop I used to set up my iPad2 has died. I have managed to transfer my music over onto my own user account on my husband's laptop, but can I sync the iPad to that iTunes now? What will happen to all my apps on the iPad, and their contents? What about my email account on the iPad, and all my photos, and my calendar entries and address book? I really don't want to lose it all, and am scared to start. The music is all safely in the new iTunes, both purchased and encoded from CDs.

Many thanks, all!

Lorelie

Poser

iPF Noob
Reaction score
we got you!!!!!!

lemme find a thread....i'll be back.

Poser

iPF Noob
Reaction score
connect to the new pc(iTunes).....DONT SYNC, UPDATE OR RESTORE.

transfer purchases....and backup.

this adds a backup to your fresh pc, all your settings,

and transfer purchases you have purchased on the iPad to your iTunes on your fresh pc.
apps get transferred too, or you can re-download them for free, using the same account.

this backs up a couple things, your pics though...only whats in camera roll.

ipad3.png

your pc should be authorized in iTunes.

authorize-itunes-menu.jpg

Last edited:
OP
L

Lorelie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ooh, thank you, that,s good to know. I didn't understand on the Apple Support threads about the photos. All of my photos are on the iPad, hundreds of them, but I don't use the iPad camera because the one on my phone (not Apple) is better - all my photos have been moved to iPad from pc, or emailed to iPad from phone. Will they be lost in a new sync? I have Dropbox, so I could just rent some more space and upload them then pull them back down after, to be sure.

I assume if I have to redowload apps that i'll lose the content? It just all seems such a faff, to have to move photos, reload kindle books, etc, I wish it would just sync in both directions. I have only just worked out that it doesn't which is why I have no backup system in place, I assumed the laptop and iPad were backing each other up. :-(

Thanks for your help :)

Poser

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No Photos/Videos and Music.

iTunes will back up the following information:

• Safari bookmarks, cookies, history, and currently open pages
  • Map bookmarks, recent searches, and the current location displayed in Maps
  • Application settings, preferences, and data
  • Address Book and Address Book favorites
  • Calendar accounts
  • Wallpapers
  • Notes
  • Call history
  • Mail accounts
  • YouTube bookmarks
  • SMS messages
  • Saved suggestion corrections (these are saved automatically as you reject suggested corrections)
  • Camera roll (photos and screen shots taken by the iPhone)
  • Voicemail token (this is not the Voicemail password, but is used for validation when connecting. This is only restored to a phone with the same phone number on the SIM card.)
  • Web clips
  • Network settings (saved wifi spots, VPN settings, network preferences)
  • Paired Bluetooth devices (which can only be used if restored to the same phone that did the backup)
  • Keychain (this includes email account passwords, Wi-Fi passwords, and passwords you enter into websites and some other applications. The keychain can only be restored from backup to the same iPhone or iPod touch. If you are restoring to a new device, you will need to fill in these passwords again.)
  • Managed Configurations/Profiles
  • List of External Sync Sources (Mobile Me, Exchange ActiveSync)
  • Microsoft Exchange account configurations
  • Nike + iPod saved workouts and settings
  • App Store Application data(except the Application itself, its tmp and Caches folder).
  • Videos in camera roll
  • Per app preferences allowing use of location services
  • Offline web application cache/database
  • Voice memos
  • Autofill for web pages
  • Trusted hosts that have certificates that cannot be verified
  • Web sites approved to get the location of the device
  • In-app purchases
  • Videos in the camera roll that are 2 GB or larger are not backed up.

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1766

Last edited:

Poser

iPF Noob
Reaction score
all my photos have been moved to iPad from pc, or emailed to iPad from phone. Will they be lost in a new sync? the ones that were transferred from the pc will be lost, the ones you emailed...can be emailed again, but a better solution, is to get them from the iPad before you do the fresh sync that will delete them.

I have Dropbox, so I could just rent some more space and upload them then pull them back down after, to be sure. give it a try.

Thanks for your help :)

backing up is key here.

OP
L

Lorelie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ah, am beginning to understand... My Photos has two folders: photo library is pics from old laptop, and I have these on a memory stick.
Camera roll contains all the emailed ones. Does this mean they're safe?
Sorry, I am new to all this, had been assuming the iPad was more like a computer than it is.
Thank you so much for all of help :)

Poser

iPF Noob
Reaction score
a backup will save all in the camera roll(the videos in camera roll too).

not in camera roll(gone).

Poser

iPF Noob
Reaction score
there is a way to plug iPad to a pc, and view the pics in camera roll, via the USB cable.

OP
L

Lorelie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you. When ios5 comes out, i will back up everything I can manage to back up, and give it a go. Thanks for your time :)

Most reactions

Latest posts