What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Issue with the dictionary

Tahmidul

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Please help...when I select a work usually a define button showed up...but for a few days...the define button's not showing up...I tried resetting the keyboard dictionary...but it was of no use...still not showing up...what can I do...? Please help

Sent from my 16 GB WiFi only iPad using iPF

The OB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Please help...when I select a work usually a define button showed up...but for a few days...the define button's not showing up...I tried resetting the keyboard dictionary...but it was of no use...still not showing up...what can I do...? Please help

Sent from my 16 GB WiFi only iPad using iPF
I assume you are talking about a Dictionary App. If so, have you tried deleting/refreshing that app?
Double press on the home button or four-finger swipe up on the screen to bring up the task-bar apps on the bottom of the screen. Press down on the offending app and press the delete minus sign. It won't hurt to tidy up memory by deleting the other apps as well. Restart your iPad. That often helps to get a recalcitrant app to behave itself. Let us know how that went.
Regards. Andrew

Last edited:

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I think this is the one the OP is talking about, Andrew. Having a poke around now to see if I can figure anything out.

image-3631661471.jpg

image-2901225252.jpg

Wouldn't hurt to try

Settings/General/Reset/Reset All Settings just to see if that sorts it. Meantime, I'll go digging.

Sent from my iPhone using iPF

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Looks like we need to get you to this point.

image-24981348.jpg

It wants to download a dictionary because the book is in French. iOS 6 added this capability. This is, of course, academic unless we can figure out where the "define" button has gone.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well, I've looked everywhere I can think of and drawn a blank.

Hopefully resetting settings will do the trick.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

The OB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks Kevin. Hopefully that resetting will work. If I was scratching my head before, now I am hopelessly lost in the woods in understanding the question about the dictionary, let alone the answer.
Regards, Andrew

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Most reactions

Latest posts