What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad TV tuner

page255

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Guys, Sorry I am new here, however I cannot find the info elsewhere, so can anyone help me here? Does anyone use this product from Avermedia called Homefree AVPlus ?

I cannot post link here, but please go to Newegg then search on 'avermedia homefree'

I have been looking for iPad TV tuner for long time, I really want to buy it but before I do, just want to quickly check with others.

Thanks a lot

Sonicrobby

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Well what are you looking for exactly? Reading the review and details, I get the impression this is live tv anywhere on your network only. Meaning it wouldn't work outside the house. I honestly don't know if it's true, but I'd ask about it before you buy it.

I personally felt the same way, and really wanted tv on my iPad, and so I got the slingbox pro hd. It's double the price of the aver media one, but this one I can give you my opinion on. This one allows me to view tv on an iPad, computer, phone, anything that has the sling media app. And it's viewable from outside your network (which is something I needed). I've even tested this while I was at school, works great. The issue is that it can only stream to one device only (including the tv I believe, but to solve it I got a splitter for the coax cable, so one would go directly into the tv, the other directly into the slingbox).

OP
P

page255

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I know Slingbox but the price is too high for me, besides their iPad apps cost another 30 bucks, that's insane...This Homefree box including iPad apps only cost 150, price is all right.... I have done more studies, thanks for the tips, it indeed look like does not work outside of the houses, very much like silcondusk HDHomeRun (which do not support iPad), it's ok for me though. It also looks like this homefree box have one digital TV tuner and an AV-in, perfect for my Dish networks and local digital TV all together in one box. Anyway, I am almost ready to buy it, Will let you guy know how it goes (if I really did buy it :).

Wookiee2cu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a slingbox av and it works fine with my iPhone 4 but it won't work with the iPad 2. Not sure if it's because of the hardware in the iPad 2 or if Sling did it on purpose to forece people to upgrade their slingbox... either way I'm bummed.

Most reactions

Latest posts