iPad Skins vs iPad Cases

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories for iPAD 1, 2 and 3' started by ZAGG.com, Jun 21, 2011.

1. ZAGG.com

ZAGG.com iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    We wanted to take a poll on what everyone prefers. Would you rather use a case for your iPad or put a skin on it.

Possible aspects to consider:

• Weight and mobility
    • Looks and feel
    • Color coordination
    • Protective abilities

Let me know your thoughts.
  2. Dr Umfufu

Dr Umfufu iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have tried both and my opinion is:

Weight: a skin is obviously better than a cover in terms of weight but some covers hardly weigh anything (Incipio Feather)
    Coordination: a skin can be any design and colour so is more flexible for those showing off their individuality...
    Fitting: make a mess of the install and a skin just looks awful!!!! With a cover you get a perfect fit every time, and it can be removed for cleaning.
    Protection: a skin offers no protection except for scratches. A cover offers much more...

Just my 2 cents worth....
  3. SaberOne

SaberOne iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Since the iPad2 is pretty darn fragile I can’t see myself using anything but a case. It doesn’t have to be the kind you can throw down a hill or against an office wall, but it does have to protect my investment. I favor the garden-variety notebook style myself with either an edged sleeve border or an effective clip edged border. Either way, it should be thin and fit tighter than a cats meow. Also, make no mistake, as many iPad owners would likely pay through the nose for quality. Then again, what do I know.
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2011
  4. Bennettb

Bennettb iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +79 / 0
    With 6 boy grandchildren 5 and under using the iPad (even the one year old can turn it on and get his favorite books started), I need a case. The case that works on the battlefield would be best but I have settled for a targus and glasses wipes from lens crafters.
  5. iRuthlessPad

iRuthlessPad iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I bought a silicon cover and a leather case..silicone for bump and fall resistance...leather cover for the sun and weather..when u adopt an elephant u got to pay to keep it health...just a saying here in india ;)
  6. iRuthlessPad

iRuthlessPad iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I bought a silicon cover and a leather case..silicone for bump and fall resistance...leather cover for the sun and weather..when u adopt an elephant u got to pay to keep it healthy...just a saying here in india ;)
  7. mcduck

mcduck iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    What version of notebook case have you settled on? Having broken the glass screen on mine, I am trying to choose the best option.
  8. dralvarado

dralvarado iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Ipad case much better, used both case +++++
  9. Cord

Cord iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Caew...!

Otterbox Defender because at the time it was the toughest available.....
  10. SaberOne

SaberOne iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hello 'mcduct'

I’m far too new to recommend anything. I simply read, write and review product pages on the web. Following the lead of news correspondent’s in the field, the notebook style seems to be popular. Also, I tend to lean towards the quality cases that may or may not fit better. In the end, I think it’s a crapshoot and I’ve learned to nail the return process (RMA) to a science. If I were buying today, here is one that caught my eye. Click on the small pics to see the nice detail.

Beyza Tan Executive II Leather Slim Case for Apple iPad 2

BTW: I’m too embarrassed to post the one I opted for since its head n’ shoulders over the top.
    Regards,
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2011
  11. Williebye

Williebye iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Well I must confess that I placed my unprotected (with flip top only from Apple) iPod 2 on the kitchen counter and with just a slight bump to the counter it quickly slid to the tiled floor. It was not necessary to look once I heard that sickening sound as it contacted the floor to know that the screen was toast.
    I will have to now spend $$ to have it replaced by Apple. I can't give up 3 years of warranty to get a cheaper screen replacement.

Without a case there is just no protection and a drop will eventually happen. I looked at three cases and chose this one because it also retained a little more of iPad 2s look and style with more than acceptable protection. It also comes with a screen protector.

http://www.tridenteer.com/products/Aegis-Case-for-Apple-iPad-2-(Blue).html

This has military grade protection but turns the delicate design of the iPad 2 into a tank.
    http://www.goballisticcase.com/products/ipad-2-ballistic-tough-jacket-series-case

This one had issues with a very weak flap/stand part as indicated by several reviews.
    http://www.otterbox.com/iPad-2-Defe...APL2-IPAD2_color=D9&start=1&cgid=ipad-2-cases
  12. tdmsu

tdmsu iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    I use an invisible shield around the house, and put my iPad in a case when I take it on the go.
    Right now I have a Marware EcoVue, but if I could afford it I would get an Oberon in a heart beat!
    I have been intrigued by the zaggmate, but I don't know if I type enough, besides the screen keyboard works well for me.
  13. Lizzy and proud

Lizzy and proud iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    It really is I have one for my iPhone need to get one for my iPad were did you get yours? 
  14. Cord

Cord iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Otterbox Defender

I have a iPad 1 and I found the case on EBay for $28 shipped USPS Priority Mail. If you have a iPad 2 check eBay and Amazon.