What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

IPAD on vacation in Europe

pegleg

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, I'm new to the forum and I tried searching on this but I couldn't really find the answer. I will be traveling to London, Paris and Germany and I have the Ipad 3G/WIFI. I know that if I want to use the 3G I would have to buy an International Data Plan and I don't want to do that. But if I find free WIFI (like in the hotel) and use that are there any additional charges or is it really free? Thanks for you help!

Macette

iPF Novice
Reaction score
pegleg said:
Hi, I'm new to the forum and I tried searching on this but I couldn't really find the answer. I will be traveling to London, Paris and Germany and I have the Ipad 3G/WIFI. I know that if I want to use the 3G I would have to buy an International Data Plan and I don't want to do that. But if I find free WIFI (like in the hotel) and use that are there any additional charges or is it really free? Thanks for you help!

I would think it would be like the iPhone as long as you turn off 3G data and leave wifi on. I did it with my iPhone in Australia there is no cost. The only place I could get free wifi was in McDonalds lol but it worked. Cellular data must be turned off. I still do it with my iPhone in uk turn of 3G and use wifi where I can get it. Or buy a data sim in each country.

Macette

iPF Novice
Reaction score
suz26 said:
I would think it would be like the iPhone as long as you turn off 3G data and leave wifi on. I did it with my iPhone in Australia there is no cost. The only place I could get free wifi was in McDonalds lol but it worked. Cellular data must be turned off. I still do it with my iPhone in uk turn of 3G and use wifi where I can get it. Or buy a data sim in each country.

P.s don't put a sim in at all, just pick up wifi where you can....

WillyDS

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was in vacation in France with my iPad and booked hotes on booking.com (exist as app for iPad)
All these hotels give free wifi acces (with access code or password.)

isteen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
McD?

I was in vacation in France with my iPad and booked hotes on booking.com (exist as app for iPad)
All these hotels give free wifi acces (with access code or password.)

Not sure, but doesn't most McDonald's have free wifi-access?
There are always one of those nearby in most european cities

glenmoray

iPF Noob
Reaction score
But if I find free WIFI (like in the hotel) and use that are there any additional charges or is it really free? Thanks for you help!
In general hotels offer the wifi connection only for their guests. That means you'll need a password for access. Many eating and drinking places offer wifi for free as an extra service for their guests. Also Starbucks offers free wifi as long as you buy their card once (costs a few euros).

greetings,
Tom
Austria

Most reactions

Latest posts