What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ipad not turning on :(

Quazie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i jailbroke my ipad about 2 weeks ago now and the device just isnt responding at all.

ive tried holding the reset buttons, ive plugged it into both the mains and the pc and nothing as of yet.

anyone have any ideas at all?

ipfuser55

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Don't Panic

i jailbroke my ipad about 2 weeks ago now and the device just isnt responding at all.

ive tried holding the reset buttons, ive plugged it into both the mains and the pc and nothing as of yet.

anyone have any ideas at all?

Plenty in this section can help. I'm a dyed in the wool non-jailbreak person, but hang in there :)

OP
Q

Quazie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i wish i was aswell now vintage :( thanks though

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I would seriously doubt this is anything to do with jailbreaking, but we'll see...

First of all you need to be SURE it is charged. The only way if it is dead is to use the WALL charger. Connecting it to the PC via USB just won't cut it. Give it a good hour or two connected to the original 10w wall charger that it came with...

Next, hold both power and home buttons for 10 seconds. Then release both and press the power button. The iPad should now start to boot.

Once you get to this stage tell us what happens. You should see the silver apple logo which indicates it is booting.

If you still see nothing on the screen or you see the red empty battery logo then you have had a hardware failure (assuming you have given it several hours of charging).
This is nothing to do with the jailbreak. The boot process of the iPad cannot be changed by software in any way. If that is the case you need to take it back to Apple for warranty repair. They will not be able to tell it is jailbroken if it cannot be turned on using the 10 second button method above.

Post back and let us know how you get on.

Last edited:
OP
Q

Quazie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
thanks a lot, will do this now.

basically i was installing something using cydia when it seemed to just die and at the time i had 97% battery so i doubt very much the battery is the problem howeever i will post back in a couple of hours.

OP
Q

Quazie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
it worked :)
thankyou ever so much mate, really appreciate it

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Glad I could help.
I am sure this was nothing to do with the jailbreak, but if you run into any more problems, post a list of the things you have installed via Cydia and I'll see if I can pinpoint anything which is not iPad compatible and could be causing you trouble.
But as I say, there is virtually nothing you can install via Cydia which will render your iPad broken.

Bob Maxey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I would seriously doubt this is anything to do with jailbreaking, but we'll see...

First of all you need to be SURE it is charged. The only way if it is dead is to use the WALL charger. Connecting it to the PC via USB just won't cut it. Give it a good hour or two connected to the original 10w wall charger that it came with...

Next, hold both power and home buttons for 10 seconds. Then release both and press the power button. The iPad should now start to boot.

Once you get to this stage tell us what happens. You should see the silver apple logo which indicates it is booting.

If you still see nothing on the screen or you see the red empty battery logo then you have had a hardware failure (assuming you have given it several hours of charging).
This is nothing to do with the jailbreak. The boot process of the iPad cannot be changed by software in any way. If that is the case you need to take it back to Apple for warranty repair. They will not be able to tell it is jailbroken if it cannot be turned on using the 10 second button method above.

Post back and let us know how you get on.

Good ideas, but here is another or two. What about the wall socket itself or the charger that came with your iPad?

I had a similar issue with another product and it turned out to be a bad socket. In that case, the wall socket was damaged and I had no power at all. I also once had a device that came with a defective wall charger; it put out less than 1 VDC.

Do you have access to a voltmeter?

Bob

nymosis

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Have you considered taking it to the Apple store?

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Read much you two? :D
According to his response yesterday I solved his problem???

Bob Maxey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Read much you two? :D
According to his response yesterday I solved his problem???

Read? What's that?

Yes I read.

I am glad your suggestion helped. Forums and Google are often better tech support centers than the manufacturer's tech support.

But it seems to me that someone else might have a similar problem and your suggestions might not help them. So I provided a few additional ideas that might help someone else down the road.

I guess I'll keep my mouth shut from now on.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Bob Maxey said:
Read? What's that?

Yes I read.

I am glad your suggestion helped. Forums and Google are often better tech support centers than the manufacturer's tech support.

But it seems to me that someone else might have a similar problem and your suggestions might not help them. So I provided a few additional ideas that might help someone else down the road.

I guess I'll keep my mouth shut from now on.

Fair enough Bob. Asking him if he had access to a Voltmeter didn't seem to indicate you had read it at all...
Bygones.

Last edited:
OP
Q

Quazie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yer thanks for the additional replies anyway :p

Most reactions

Latest posts