What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

IPad mail stuck in landscape orientation

Sk8maven

iPF Noob
Reaction score
For the last several days, my mail program will not rotate to portrait. Double-checked that side button is set to mute, checked that lock at left of music controls is off. Rebooted iPad more than once.

Other programs that can do both orientations rotate fine. I am a bit baffled by this.

Thanks!

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Have you tried closing the Mail app den in the multitask bar? If you simply reboot, the app will continue in the same state as it was when you reboot.

Four finger swipe up the screen to reveal the multitask bar.

Long press on any app in the list until a minus sign appears.

Touch the minus sign on the app to close it.

Four finger swipe down the screen to return to normal.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

OP
S

Sk8maven

iPF Noob
Reaction score
KevinJS said:
Have you tried closing the Mail app den in the multitask bar? If you simply reboot, the app will continue in the same state as it was when you reboot.

Four finger swipe up the screen to reveal the multitask bar.

Long press on any app in the list until a minus sign appears.

Touch the minus sign on the app to close it.

Four finger swipe down the screen to return to normal.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Of course, you're right! (My iPad needed rebooting due to a game causing it to freeze; I just assumed that a reboot would reset everything). Thanks so much for your help.

OP
S

Sk8maven

iPF Noob
Reaction score
However, the fact that I now know how to reboot the mail program properly does not change the fact that the mail program continues to get "stuck" in whatever orientation it is first in after the reboot. Any ideas on how to fix this? It doesn't happen with any other program, just mail.

Roy Rob

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sk8maven said:
However, the fact that I now know how to reboot the mail program properly does not change the fact that the mail program continues to get "stuck" in whatever orientation it is first in after the reboot. Any ideas on how to fix this? It doesn't happen with any other program, just mail.

What mail app are you using? The generic preloaded one?

Sent using my iPad 2 - 16Gb - Wi-Fi

OP
S

Sk8maven

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Roy Rob said:
Try just closing the app from the multitask bar, don't reboot and let us know if things change.

Sent using my iPad 2 - 16Gb - Wi-Fi

I did that, and so far the mail program is behaving. I'll let you know how it goes longer-term. Thanks for your help.

Most reactions

Latest posts