iPad Expected to Have 50% Market Share Until 2016

Discussion in 'Apple iPad News' started by Maura, Dec 5, 2012.

By Maura on Dec 5, 2012 at 2:31 PM
  1. Maura

Expand Collapse
    iPadForums News Team

Jun 7, 2010
    Thanks Received:

According to new figures from IDC, as reported by AppleInsider today, Apple is expected to maintain its 50% share of the tablet market through until 2016, although it is expected to take a small hit from increased competition from Android and Windows tablets. IDC thinks that there will be 122.3 million tablets shipped in 2012 overall, with Appleā€™s iPad making up 53.8% of that total, representing a slight drop from 56.3% in 2011. The main reason for this would be the growth in Android tablet sales, up from 39.8% in 2011 to 42.7% in 2012. Good news for Apple and Android then, but less favourable news for Microsoft, with Windows-based tablets only expected to account for 2.9% of tablet shipments in 2012. However, things can only get better for Microsoft, and IDC believes that indeed they will, projecting that by 2016, Windows tablets will have 10.2% of the market, which would be quite an improvement.[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]Source:[/FONT] Apple's iPad projected to control 50% of tablet shipments through 2016
Sub-Categories: This article has no sub-categories

Discussion in 'Apple iPad News' started by Maura, Dec 5, 2012.

1. tlbaker
      We will up to iPad 114 by then lol.

Sent from my Wi-Fi Black 64GB
      iPad with Retina Display using Tapatalk HD
    2. s2mikey
      Right, and with that we will have 113 iPad models owned by disgruntled people because a newer model came out too soon after they bought theirs. :)

I'm actually surprised they don't have more of the tablet market than 50%. I would think it'd be even higher than that. IMO, they make the best tablets.
    3. tlbaker
      LOL!!! Yes, they do. I tried to like other tablets but I can't lol. I saw an Asus tablet that looked nice online. I have a BestBuy near work I will check it out again. So glad it is near as I can also check out Apple stuff as well w o having to run to an Apple store.

I am not buying another tablet anytime soon unless I am able to sell or regift the old ones.

Sent from my Wi-Fi Black 64GB
      iPad with Retina Display using Tapatalk HD
    4. The OB
      The OB
      Showing Thumbs

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    5. AQ_OC
      The much more interesting stat is who is actually making a profit on tablets.
    6. scifan57
      Also very telling is the fact that almost all web traffic on tablets is on iPads. 98.1% of tablet web traffic is from iPads. The iPad also has a 54.5% share of web traffic among all mobile devices.
    7. ardchoille
      Indeed! and I'm going to help increase iPad stats by buying more iPads :)
    8. s2mikey
      Right. Although in many business cases, the hardware is given away for free per say because they make it back on the content. Apple makes big bucks on both but I bet the App Store cut that they get starts to add up quickly!
    9. AQ_OC
      That's the claim, but does that really happen? I know amazon takes a big loss on prime, due to shipping and videos. They make a net profit, but that profit would be bigger if they didn't take these big hits will trying to own the book and video markets. Also, who involved with googles tablets is making any kind of profit? Google is undercutting the very vendors who have built devices for android. Samsung is the only one that seems to be making a profit, but they are huge and into everything. In the meantime, apple and its developers are raking in the dough.