What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad as a Tool for Pro Photographers

cuechick

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.piewacketblog.com
4682141206_4e6bfea54d.jpg

My take on the iPad just went up on my blog today. I have been a commercial photographer for over twenty years and gone through many portfolio formats. I think this has a ton of promotional potential. Would love to hear any feedback, especially from other photographers who have shown there work using it.

Bluenik25

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have tried to use the iPad for on the fly editing and have been let down by the apps that are available. Just about every app I have downloaded crashes at some point during an edit. Having an app that would allow me to keep my iPad connected so I can use it as a review screen while shooting photos would be awesome.

Fotonutz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Lara,

The iPad is great as a promotional tool to showcase your works.
I started to try and import all my photos into my iPad the minute I got it.

But I realised that that is not possible as using the iPad to sync photos from my iMac is an agony. It tries to optimise the photos to fit into the display size of the iPad and it is taking a long time to optimise the photos.

At the present moment, I have about 30,000+ photos and after 2-3 hours of optimising, I gave up. Had to reorganise my folders and select only the essential ones.

The iPad is definitely better at showing the client the full image on a 9.7" screen as opposed to a 3" LCD.

Have you got the camera connection kit? Was trying to get it when my wife bought the iPad for me, but it wasn't available at the store.

Were you using a Lensbaby, Lomo or T/S lens for the above shot ? DOF plane seems different from a normal lens.

Last edited:

Holly

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sent your blog link to a friend who is trying to convince her photographer husband to buy one. It would be useful in promoting her jewellery making hobby.

OP
cuechick

cuechick

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.piewacketblog.com
Hi Lara,

But I realised that that is not possible as using the iPad to sync photos from my iMac is an agony. It tries to optimise the photos to fit into the display size of the iPad and it is taking a long time to optimise the photos.

At the present moment, I have about 30,000+ photos and after 2-3 hours of optimising, I gave up. Had to reorganise my folders and select only the essential ones.

The iPad is definitely better at showing the client the full image on a 9.7" screen as opposed to a 3" LCD.

Have you got the camera connection kit? Was trying to get it when my wife bought the iPad for me, but it wasn't available at the store.

Were you using a Lensbaby, Lomo or T/S lens for the above shot ? DOF plane seems different from a normal lens.

I just use iPhoto to upload portfolios and I really edit them down. I think less is more when it comes to presenting your work. I used a Canon 50 1.2 L series lens for the shot, open to about 2.0 maybe? I think it is just the angle maybe that gives it that look.

Last edited:

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
One of the first things I did with my iPad was to demonstrate it to my friend who deals in vintage watches.
The device makes an easily portable sales tool, especially with pinch and zoom. You can also quickly access your website or even VPN into your home database if needed.

Finnedog

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi Lara,

I had the same problem and you either need to let it run all night or set up another folder where you have a more manageable number of photos to optimize.

sch

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Lara,

Lovely work on both your blog and website!

I'm hoping to use my iPad more with future OS (or should I say iOS) upgrades. I'd love the ability to do some RAW processing, and have a better file system.

Ciao,

Fotonutz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wouldn't it be nice to have a camera attachment on the iPad ?

IMG_9651_2.jpg

Would be great to have a 10MP, 28mm/F1.8L USM lens with a 9.7" LCD Live-View screen instead of a 3" LCD :D

One that can just be plugged into the 30-Pin connector without any cables.

Wish someone will invent something like that.

Matth3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Lara,

Just playing devil's advocate, why on earth would you want to load 30,000 pictures onto the iPad? You said that it's a great tool to showcase your work, but who wants to see 30,000 versions of your work? I think any potential client would want to see MAYBE 100 different shots, max. Even if you were potentially taking on a client like Microsoft, I doubt they would want to see 30,000.

I would just pick even 1,000 and sync just those.

Aiden

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I can't wait for a decent photo processing app to come out, might encourage me ton use RAW more. As for the iPad as a portfolio I think its a great idea, people will be drawn in either by the awesome gadget the iPad is or by the standard of your work or both! No doubt there will soon be 'an app for that.'

Matth3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I know by no means is it Photoshop, but Photogene has been the typical suggestion for me.

Fotonutz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Matt,

Yup, gave up the idea of synching 30,000 photos.
Just loaded 6,000 instead. Still, it took about an hour to optimize.

Most reactions

Latest posts