What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

IPad as a harddrive

Shoma5er

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello,
last summer I plugged my ipad into windows 7 machine. An icon appeared on the desktop so I click on it and then it open the ipad and used it as a hard drive. What happened is I copped all my important files (projects im working on and old photo). Anyways, Im back to the mac now and i cant get the icon again. in other words i cant access the ipad through a laptop. I tried everything, windows, mac, old version itunes, itunes 10. I even asked the genius bar they know nothing.

Any ideas?

hookbill

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello,
last summer I plugged my ipad into windows 7 machine. An icon appeared on the desktop so I click on it and then it open the ipad and used it as a hard drive. What happened is I copped all my important files (projects im working on and old photo). Anyways, Im back to the mac now and i cant get the icon again. in other words i cant access the ipad through a laptop. I tried everything, windows, mac, old version itunes, itunes 10. I even asked the genius bar they know nothing.

Any ideas?

When I first got the iPad that's how I envisioned it. I couldn't understand what all the fuss was about going to iTunes. Well it simply won't work until you do go to iTunes.

I don't know how you got a pc to recognize it as a hard drive. Now that I understand a little about how the iPad works it doesn't make any sense that it should appear as a hard drive.

OP
S

Shoma5er

iPF Noob
Reaction score
unfortunately, i cant remember the itunes version nor the ipad's when I did that. but i remember that it was the second time i plug it to a laptop, the first time was just to register it and get it started.

I uploaded a pic of the ipad capacity, is it normal to have 1.6 gigs occupied by "other"?

hook, you made me doubt my memory :)

Attachments

• ipadcap.jpg
    ipadcap.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 317

BrennB

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think that other is either iOS files or temp files.

I know what you're talking about re the hard drive access, I also know it did me no good.

Pocobear

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Try to look for your files under "Photos" app in the "Saved Photos" folders. If they aren't there, then try "iPhonebrowser" from Google. If find the files you are looking for with iPhonebrowser you may be able to map the folder to a network drive. I have used Windows explorer "Map network drive" to map the DCIM folder to a network drive. You may be able to map other folders the same way.

The Alternative

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
thealternativeone.blogspot.com
In Windows 7 if you open your "Computer" you'll see your "Hard Disk Drives" OS and Expansion Drives and "Devices with Removable Storage" The iPad is visible in the "Camera" section here. However, I have never tried to write to the iPad or read from it in this mode so I'm not sure what, if any, manipulation can be done.

ArcticRed

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Being a newcomer to the ipad, this is probably another dumb question but:

I can synch with itunes but I cannot see the ipad in "computer" on the PC. Any ideas? I presume this would also explain why I can access the internet through the PC wirelessly but not synch with wireless.
Thanks AR

fergy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
have you tried plugging the iPad into a Linux based machine I think that it will allow you to access the iPads hdd.

if you've not got Linux try running it from a live cd.

NumbLock

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Being a newcomer to the ipad, this is probably another dumb question but:

I can synch with itunes but I cannot see the ipad in "computer" on the PC. Any ideas? I presume this would also explain why I can access the internet through the PC wirelessly but not synch with wireless.
Thanks AR

There is unfortunately no wireless synching (yet). You'll have to love your apple dock/sync cable :(

Now for the good news for readers of this post:
http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-help/6455-finally-good-file-management-goodreaderusb.html

Yes, it really works.

Most reactions

Latest posts