What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad 2 problems with ios 8+

James Flynn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
To whom it may concern: I have an older iPad 2. I had no problems with it until ios 8 came along, and things are still bad. I will not install 8.1.3. My problems are: periodic and frequent Facebook crashes. Very frequent chrashes when switching between Facebook and Facebook messenger. Long delays with bluetooth keyboard typing showing up. General system crashes that resolve very slowly. None of these issues existed before the installation of ios 8.

Why are these things happening? I am very disappointed in Apple's updates - they are seeming more like Microsoft every day!

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Not installing the recent updates is a mistake (unless you are jailbreaking, or intend to jailbreak). Most early versions of any new OS have bugs (some more than others). This one had more than usual, and hit the iPad 2 hardest. The minor updates afterwards are mostly to fix those bugs.

Since you are already on iOS 8, the 8.1.x updates are your only way forward.

If you are the cautious type, in general it's a good idea to hold off on the first version of any new OS release. The second or third point update is where most of the issues have been resolved. iOS 8.1.3 is the most stable iOS 8 update yet. The iOS 8.2 update, due out sometime this Spring, will introduce some new features. Waiting on that one would be a good idea; especially for iPad 2 owners.

That said, it sounds like your initial install had problems. If you installed using the OTA (Over The Air) method, you might want to do a clean install using iTunes on a computer.

OP
J

James Flynn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm using 8.1.2 now, so I'm guessing that it's not corrupted. To be clear, you suggest installing 8.1.3, correct?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Your iOS 8.1.2 install might still be corrupt if you got a bad install with the initial iOS 8 update. The point updates only patch things, they don't replace everything. Given your issues, a clean install using iTune on a computer is probably still necessary. I'm not talking about a restore, but using DFU mode to force the iPad to re-install iOS 8 cleanly.

I do recommend going to iOS 8.1.3. It's not as big a bug killer as iOS 8.1.2 was, but it's still an improvement. And there have been no real indications that it is causing problems. Maybe not fixing some things, but not causing new ones.

If you do the clean install, you'll need to do it with iOS 8.1.3 anyway.

Most reactions

Latest posts