What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad 2 Backup - iTunes

Bingoldsby

iPF Noob
Reaction score
In preparing myself and my iPad 2 WiFi 32Gb for updating to 5.0.1 (in a couple of days), my sync with the latest iTunes which I just installed yesterday, gives me the message:

" iTunes could not backup the iPad "Brians iPad" because a session could not be started with the iPad. "

It is currently on 4.3.3 and jailbroken. Anyone know of this problem and how to deal with it?

[[ EDIT ]] ALSO... the iPhone 4, which I just tried to sync gave the same error message. Something to do with the new iTunes I just installed??

The rest of the syncing process looked normal.

Thanks.

Last edited:
OP
Bingoldsby

Bingoldsby

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There's actually a lot of discussion on this - after doing a google search on the error phrase given. So far, I have not had any success following a number of instructions and suggestions given... which are, so far: Removing previous backup files (after saving the phone's/pad's most recent files elsewhere), hard resetting the iPad and restarting the computer, removing the "iPod photo cache" directory, and making sure no apps are running in the background.

So, still at a loss. I presume the previous backup files, make a couple of months ago, will work, but still....

OP
Bingoldsby

Bingoldsby

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This issue HAS NOT been resolved, and I'm now wondering if this is going to hamper my upgrade attempts on both the pad and the phone. A section dealing with upgrade troubleshooting contains this statement:

Also keep in mind that this is a full upgrade meaning that all of your data will be backed up and then removed from your iPad, iOS 5 will be downloaded and installed, all of your data will then be restored.

While I will be using a firmware file contained locally on the computer used for upgrading, is there still going to be the matter of failed backup attempt interrupting the process??

Most reactions

Latest posts