What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iOS6 Holdouts

cruiser111

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Looks like a lot of us are waiting to see a few reviews before jumping into the new update.

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The reviews are out and very positive. Most of those waiting are cautious about any change, or not wanting to deal with the high traffic problems.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I loaded iOS 6 only on my iPod touch 4, which I use mostly on the subway for books and music. I wanted to try out iOS 6 without messing up Google maps on my iPad or iPhone. Glad I didn't. The Apple maps suck compared with Google's. I plan to keep my iPad and iPhone on 5.1.1 indefinitely.

ipadsi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I stupidly updated my ipad 3 because of all the hype and was intrigued to see what ios 6 was like. If you haven't updated then DON'T. You will be disappointed. Maps is useless with poor quality satellite imagery, Siri is pointless and just a gimmick. Facebook and Twitter has been incorporated into iOS which has given it a'teenage' Fisher price feel. Couldn't care less about twitter or Facebook. It's my own fault but I fell for Apples hype and i feel my iPad is worthless without it being jail broken. Miss sbsettings!!!

waah

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I stupidly updated my ipad 3 because of all the hype and was intrigued to see what ios 6 was like. If you haven't updated then DON'T. You will be disappointed. Maps is useless with poor quality satellite imagery, Siri is pointless and just a gimmick. Facebook and Twitter has been incorporated into iOS which has given it a'teenage' Fisher price feel. Couldn't care less about twitter or Facebook. It's my own fault but I fell for Apples hype and i feel my iPad is worthless without it being jail broken. Miss sbsettings!!!

Could not agree with you more! Although I am pacifying myself by flirting with Siri all night!

janner43

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The reviews are out and very positive. Most of those waiting are cautious about any change, or not wanting to deal with the high traffic problems.

I loaded iOS 6 only on my iPod touch 4, which I use mostly on the subway for books and music. I wanted to try out iOS 6 without messing up Google maps on my iPad or iPhone. Glad I didn't. The Apple maps suck compared with Google's. I plan to keep my iPad and iPhone on 5.1.1 indefinitely.

So, now I'm confused.

About to buy my first Apple Device - iPad3 - should I bother or not? Has the update ruined the iPad completely?
I do use Gmaps StreetView - if I get the iPad still should I update to iOS6 or leave it on 5.1.1 & wait? Can I wait, or is the update forced on you after a while?

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score

Google maps was totally useless to me on iOS (I works much better on Android). Now, with the new maps, I can do nav without having to use nearly 2GB of storage! Of course, it is a little too late, as my car now has Nav built in (but it's maps are far behind both Google and Apple, but still useable). We have a new building at work and you can see it on the Apple maps, so I know they are recent. I'm sure Apple will improve this over time. People need to be patient. Besides, it won't be long before Google will offer their version in the app store. I promise! :)

What really chaps my hide, however, if the end of my Nano watch! Argh! Apple. I was expecting at least some new watch faces, but not only didn't I get that, but they offered another Nano? Who buys these things anyway? Must be a great gif for kids....no adult with a smartphone needs an iPod anymore (well, there are a few people who carry about 160GB of music, but they aren't going to buy a Nano). The Nano as a watch was a great idea. They should have made it a bit smaller and added wifi for email. Would have rocked. Now, they just doubled down on dumb.

:)

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So, now I'm confused.

About to buy my first Apple Device - iPad3 - should I bother or not? Has the update ruined the iPad completely?
I do use Gmaps StreetView - if I get the iPad still should I update to iOS6 or leave it on 5.1.1 & wait? Can I wait, or is the update forced on you after a while?

The importance of streetview or any other feature is up to you. If that "ruins" it for you, don't buy, because you'll eventually be forced to update unless you're willing to lose access to certain apps (because developers will be upgrading their apps to take advantage of iOS 6 and won't be supporting iOS 5 versions forever).

I figure preferences are entirely subjective, and people should buy what suits them best, no matter what brand, model, etc. I don't care whether people buy from Apple or not.

If you want one and can afford it, IMO, it's as simple as buying and trying if you like it, unless streetview is that important to you. As long as you buy from somewhere that allows returns, you can always return during the return period if you don't like the iPad overall.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
So, now I'm confused.

Not at all. Google maps was / is useless on iPad (especially if you get the wifi version). You can't Nav by it on the 3G as it didn't have voice turn by turn (Android did). You can look up addresses and use SV, but that is all. The new iPad might still have 5.1.1., so you can wait to upgrade if you want, but I'd get it sooner than later. Personally, I would go ahead and upgrade. Overall, the update is much better for iPad 3. Siri, shared photo streams, better integration, iCloud, updates without having to enter your password over and over (that right there is reason to upgrade), etc. The apple maps will improve. I promise you. They have more money than they know how to spend...some of it will go to this. Just watch. They want to outdo Google, too. Better still, Google Maps will return. Well, we hope anyhow. I'm betting it will. Youtube returned (iPad version is still under the development, but the iPhone version works fine on iPad) If you really want Google maps, if that is your main thing, then go with an Android tablet because that is the only way to get the best Google maps. It sucked on iOS. Which is why Apple dumped it.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Google maps was totally useless to me on iOS (I works much better on Android). Now, with the new maps, I can do nav without having to use nearly 2GB of storage! Of course, it is a little too late, as my car now has Nav built in (but it's maps are far behind both Google and Apple, but still useable). We have a new building at work and you can see it on the Apple maps, so I know they are recent. I'm sure Apple will improve this over time. People need to be patient. Besides, it won't be long before Google will offer their version in the app store. I promise! :)

What really chaps my hide, however, if the end of my Nano watch! Argh! Apple. I was expecting at least some new watch faces, but not only didn't I get that, but they offered another Nano? Who buys these things anyway? Must be a great gif for kids....no adult with a smartphone needs an iPod anymore (well, there are a few people who carry about 160GB of music, but they aren't going to buy a Nano). The Nano as a watch was a great idea. They should have made it a bit smaller and added wifi for email. Would have rocked. Now, they just doubled down on dumb.

:)

I don't have to be patient. All I have to do is not upgrade to iOS 6, lol. I can keep streetview indefinitely, unless they stop supporting it.

Like I said, preferences are entirely subjective, and mine suit my needs. I don't care whether certain features matter to others when I'm only interested in using my devices my way, lol.

As for promising whether there will be a standalone app from Google, you're not in a position to promise. I wouldn't look to any user for that unless they ran Apple and Google at the same time, which is not going to happen, lol.

When I'm shopping for my next tablet, streetview will be only one of the features I consider, but that will be in the mix. I'm not wedded to brands, so I'll buy what works best for me at that time. Right now, I use a mix of iOS, Android and Windows, and I feel comfortable switching if needed.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Not at all. Google maps was / is useless on iPad (especially if you get the wifi version). You can't Nav by it on the 3G as it didn't have voice turn by turn (Android did). You can look up addresses and use SV, but that is all. The new iPad might still have 5.1.1., so you can wait to upgrade if you want, but I'd get it sooner than later. Personally, I would go ahead and upgrade. Overall, the update is much better for iPad 3. Siri, shared photo streams, better integration, iCloud, updates without having to enter your password over and over (that right there is reason to upgrade), etc. The apple maps will improve. I promise you. They have more money than they know how to spend...some of it will go to this. Just watch. They want to outdo Google, too. Better still, Google Maps will return. Well, we hope anyhow. I'm betting it will. Youtube returned (iPad version is still under the development, but the iPhone version works fine on iPad) If you really want Google maps, if that is your main thing, then go with an Android tablet because that is the only way to get the best Google maps. It sucked on iOS. Which is why Apple dumped it.

Apple dumped Google because there's bad blood between them, not because the maps sucked.

janner43

iPF Novice
Reaction score

Thanks for that. Very helpful. (Congrats on the new mod badge, too. :)) Two subsidiary questions, please...

1. Could we still get Gmaps & StreetView via a browser?
2. Is iOS6 generally "better"? As in faster, slicker, easier - other than the integration of Facebook & Twitter - in which I have ZERO interest, what are the advantages & why has it been upgraded? The improvements in iOS 5 were pretty obvious - but 6? I've been reading, but I can't see what they are here so much.

ipadsi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
janner43 said:
So, now I'm confused.

The ipad is a great device (and I have owned all 3 models) but recently I had the opportunity to buy a Nexus 7 for a price I couldn't say no to. It took a bit of getting used too but it is fantastic to use. Ok, it hasn't got the build quality or status of the ipad but functionality wise it is as good as if not better than the ipad. Jelly Bean puts ios 6 to shame. It just has a more professional feel about it. Google maps works better Android.

Before buying an ipad, look at the nexus 7 or the new kindle fire which are cheap in comparison.

Most reactions

Latest posts