iOS6 Holdouts

Discussion in 'iPad OS' started by cruiser111, Sep 19, 2012.

1. cruiser111

cruiser111
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Looks like a lot of us are waiting to see a few reviews before jumping into the new update.

2. Seadog

Seadog
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    The reviews are out and very positive. Most of those waiting are cautious about any change, or not wanting to deal with the high traffic problems.

3. f4780y

f4780y
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    And some of us are holding out to preserve our jailbreak! :D

4. Frank77

Frank77
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Grrrrr.......that's what I shudda' done.

5. Kaykaykay

Kaykaykay
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    I loaded iOS 6 only on my iPod touch 4, which I use mostly on the subway for books and music. I wanted to try out iOS 6 without messing up Google maps on my iPad or iPhone. Glad I didn't. The Apple maps suck compared with Google's. I plan to keep my iPad and iPhone on 5.1.1 indefinitely.

6. ipadsi

ipadsi
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    I stupidly updated my ipad 3 because of all the hype and was intrigued to see what ios 6 was like. If you haven't updated then DON'T. You will be disappointed. Maps is useless with poor quality satellite imagery, Siri is pointless and just a gimmick. Facebook and Twitter has been incorporated into iOS which has given it a'teenage' Fisher price feel. Couldn't care less about twitter or Facebook. It's my own fault but I fell for Apples hype and i feel my iPad is worthless without it being jail broken. Miss sbsettings!!!

7. waah

waah
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Could not agree with you more! Although I am pacifying myself by flirting with Siri all night!

8. janner43

janner43
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    So, now I'm confused.

About to buy my first Apple Device - iPad3 - should I bother or not? Has the update ruined the iPad completely?
    I do use Gmaps StreetView - if I get the iPad still should I update to iOS6 or leave it on 5.1.1 & wait? Can I wait, or is the update forced on you after a while?

9. AQ_OC

AQ_OC
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Google maps was totally useless to me on iOS (I works much better on Android). Now, with the new maps, I can do nav without having to use nearly 2GB of storage! Of course, it is a little too late, as my car now has Nav built in (but it's maps are far behind both Google and Apple, but still useable). We have a new building at work and you can see it on the Apple maps, so I know they are recent. I'm sure Apple will improve this over time. People need to be patient. Besides, it won't be long before Google will offer their version in the app store. I promise! :)

What really chaps my hide, however, if the end of my Nano watch! Argh! Apple. I was expecting at least some new watch faces, but not only didn't I get that, but they offered another Nano? Who buys these things anyway? Must be a great gif for kids....no adult with a smartphone needs an iPod anymore (well, there are a few people who carry about 160GB of music, but they aren't going to buy a Nano). The Nano as a watch was a great idea. They should have made it a bit smaller and added wifi for email. Would have rocked. Now, they just doubled down on dumb.

:)

10. Kaykaykay

Kaykaykay
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    The importance of streetview or any other feature is up to you. If that "ruins" it for you, don't buy, because you'll eventually be forced to update unless you're willing to lose access to certain apps (because developers will be upgrading their apps to take advantage of iOS 6 and won't be supporting iOS 5 versions forever).

I figure preferences are entirely subjective, and people should buy what suits them best, no matter what brand, model, etc. I don't care whether people buy from Apple or not.

If you want one and can afford it, IMO, it's as simple as buying and trying if you like it, unless streetview is that important to you. As long as you buy from somewhere that allows returns, you can always return during the return period if you don't like the iPad overall.