IOS5 Jailbreak Strategy Guide

Discussion in 'iPad Hacking' started by f4780y, Nov 9, 2011.

1. f4780y

f4780y Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +635 / 0
    Welcome to fatboy's strategy guide for IOS5 Jailbreaking :)
    Followers of the jailbreaking scene will know that with the release of the iPad2, closely followed by IOS5, and the iPhone4S, the jailbreaking world has become a lot more challenging and interesting lately.

This post has been updated on 20/01/12 following release of the untethered jailbreak for A5 devices using absinthe!

The current status for jailbreaking 5.0.1 is as follows:

iPad1 Owners
    The untethered jailbreak for A4 devices, including iPad1, has been released. Follow our tutorial here to jailbreak your device - http://www.ipadforums.net/jailbreak...orial-jailbreak-ipad1-ios5-using-redsn0w.html

iPad2 Owners
    The untethered jailbreak for A5 devices, including iPad2, has been released. Follow our tutorial here to jailbreak your device - http://www.ipadforums.net/jailbreak...-tutorial-jailbreak-ipad2-5-0-1-absinthe.html

SHSH Blobs for iPad2 devices on 5.x are currently of no use. Whilst you should definitely save them for the future, DO NOT assume they can be used to let you install 5.0.1 whenever you want. At the moment, they cannot! So, update to 5.0.1 whilst the signing window is open and install the jailbreak!
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2012
    • Like Like x 5
  2. rickyricardo

rickyricardo iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    I have a question, when does apple stop signing a particular version? I mean how long after an updated version do they stop signing the previous one?
  3. Rushh

Rushh iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Excellent excellent explaination.
    I am in the same boat as you, iPad2 3g!!!!
  4. TheRambler

TheRambler Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +125 / 0
    That is a fantastic post Leigh, the information is clear and even a thick sod like me can get a grasp of what is occurring.
    I've been toying with the idea of moving to iOS 5 but couldn't make my mind up, I've got my blobs and can come back over if I don't like it.........but would I miss Cydia?.........decisions decisions.

Thanks for yet another great thread, I love this site!!
  5. f4780y

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +635 / 0
    As I said in Step 3 above if you were reading... ;)

It has normally been about 48 hours, but it has run longer in the past (Apple must give the download of 5.0.1 enough time to seed to all customers in the world so that anyone requesting a restore of their device will not be refused)...

The key thing is though, you will get no warning, so speed is of the essence!
  6. Gzoladz

Gzoladz iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    I am sticking to jb on 4.3.3 - if there is a jb for 5.0, I think there will be on for later versions.

The reason why there wasno jb for versions later than 4.3.3 is because ios5 was around the corner.

That is my view, I could be 100% wrong. But I am not hedging my jb options.
  7. Pjon

Pjon iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Question Guys,

I'm on a fw 4.3.3 but still not jb, now I saved the SHSHs this is what I got on TU:

5.0b1
    5.0b2
    5.0b3
    5.0b4
    5.0b5
    5.0b6

I know I cannot go back to 4.3.3. Anyways my Question is when the jb is release for 5.0 can I restore to 5.0 anytime on 4.3.3 etc... with my saved SHSHs stated above ?
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2011
  8. f4780y

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +635 / 0
    No. 5.x blobs are worthless :(
  9. Pjon

Pjon iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Ouch !

So should I update to 5.0 and wait for the jb ?

If I was on a jb 5.0 and it crash and need to restore to 5.0 there is no more way even if I saved the SHSHs?

Sorry but Im so lost :(....
  10. Ukmed1

Ukmed1 iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I just wanna say congrats to the poster as this is a well written and excellent thread, it covered all my questions and I'm in the same boat as the poster, I have a JB 4.3.3 3G iPad 2 and I love it, but really really want to have an untethered 5.0 so maybe I will wait till 5.0.1 is released and then very quickly update to 5.0 and hope I don't have to wait too long for an untethered JB to be released, but it's a tough decision and I will miss a lot of my beloved tweaks If I had to wait too long or even worse a JB was never released.
  11. f4780y

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +635 / 0
    You need to make your own decision, but I'd hoped the first post was not that confusing. In your scenario, once you move to 5.0 you are stuck there. If you mess up your jailbreak once it is released you will have to restore to the latest firmware (which will probably be 5.0.1 or newer at the time), and you will likely lose your jailbreak as blobs are worthless for 5.0.
  12. rickyricardo

rickyricardo iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    Yes I was reading........thank you though. It is a lot of information for a newbie like myself. Reading???????? That's all I've been doing since I got my Ipad 2. Trying to take it all in.
  13. 1million

1million iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +21 / 0
    I'm not missing this one. Thanks OP.
  14. nammi

nammi iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    A really really remarkable and excelent explanation .. A clear guidance for us noobies and not a tech savvy ..

i only have my ipad2 3g for a mere 5 months, and i still intend to make the most of my jb ..

but let us know, fatboy if you eventually decide to "wave" goodbye to your fellow 3g - 4.3.3 .. who knows we might follow your footstep to battle the uncertainty ..

Or .. do we just make the apple "garden" more flourish by buying another ipad and have it ready for whatever may come while we keep the 4.3.3 .. ???? ... < kidding

again, thanks fatboy ..
  15. guthrien

guthrien iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    Ugh, I don't know what to do. I've aired my temptations before because my 4.3.3 is running rough but I can't do a clean restore. That and I'd like to pair it more easily with my iPhone 4S.

But every time you think that way a tweak you take for granted reminds me. Go back to plain Apple multitasking? No adblocking? No iFile?! But if 5.0 was the only way to jailbreak, 4.3.3 might get super rough and archaic.

This sucks.
  16. Pjon

Pjon iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I guess I will just stay on 4.3.3 even without saved blobs and waiting HOPING to have a better jb on ios5 .

Tnx fatboys/f4780y
  17. guthrien

guthrien iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0
  18. f4780y

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +635 / 0
    Thanks for that.
    Yes, we know that Chronic are working with at least 5 exploits if their announcements from MGF are to be believed. Just because one exploit is burned in 5.0.1, does not mean that 5.0.1 and onwards will never be jailbroken. But if the developer says he is working on 5.0 using the burned exploit and 5.0.1 will take longer, folks need to pay attention and make a judgment call. Based on jailbreaks past, it's not likely that will mean a 5.0.1 JB will pop up a few weeks after the 5.0 one. The cycle is usually many months to develop a new exploit into a working, tested, stable jailbreak... Heck, the 5.0 JB could still be many weeks or months away :(
  19. guthrien

guthrien iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    Yes, great point. It's a hard call. I don't think I can give up my jailbreak for a hope right now, but I'm downloading the 5.0 firmware in case I need to make a fast decision before they stop signing it. It really is a difficult choice for the passionate jailbreaker.
  20. andrewak

andrewak iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Unfortunately I consider this as information that dev.team is loosing their battle with apple. I do have 4.3.3 jb now but if official 5.0.1 will appear before 5.0 untethered - I'll go to 5.0.1 because it's not a way of living - to stay always with previous version of IOS without jail brake waiting for one. If I have to stay without - I'll stay with the last. Tethered is not a way for me and I can't stay with 4.3.3 - at one moment there will be no apps for it. Sorry about my English.