What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Internet access in Malta

Rog301

iPF Noob
Reaction score
a little help appreciated, I have purchased a IpadAir and would like to know when I go to Malta is it best to buy a local data sim whilst there. And am I correct in thinking I don't need a dongle ? ( I don't want be conned into buying something I don't need) As the device will connect through the sim.
Please help if you can,
Thanks in anticipation!

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Wi-fi is wi-fi the world over; so that should work in Malta fine. Provided you can find a wi-fi network to use. How common they are in Malta, I have no idea.

If you wan to use the cellular connection, then yes, a local SIM would be the best option. Your current provider might give you roaming data there, but it's usually expensive beyond reason.

There are several services that will let you buy a SIM for your destination country before leaving, but it's generally cheaper to buy the SIM locally.

There is no dongle for the iPad that will give you an internet connection. The closest thing to a dongle would be a mobile hotspot device. Since your iPad has it's own SIM slot there is no reason to go this more expensive route.

And that's about the extent of my knowledge, never having done this myself.

OP
R

Rog301

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Many thanks, you have confirmed that I need to buy the wifi hotspot device ( nearly got talked to buying from a provider)
In the past I used Vodaphone with my laptop in Malta and had no problem. So I will trot off to the Vodaphone shop in Valletta when I get there.
Your knowledge is appreciated helped an old dog trying to keep up with things

NSquirrel

iPF Novice
Reaction score
There is a free ipad app called Wi-Fi Finder. It shows several paid for wifi locations in Malta, but only 3 free ones. As the app is free, it may be worth a look. (The app is nothing to do eith me!)

Most reactions

Latest posts