What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

in desperate need of help with sync

smallandmighty

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi guys, I synced my ipad to my itunes account earlier, all seemed to be ok, but no contacts or notes or mail settings or calendar.
Its the contacts and notes i really wanted so I plugged my iphone4 in and synced that so everything was up to date. When I selected sync everything it asked me weather i wanted to sync from outlook which i stupidly said yes to. I don't work off outlook so I lost everything, all my contacts and all my diary. Not panicking i hit system restore from the last back up. turns out Ive been syncing and not backing up since august last. so im stuffed im going to have to spend time going through my text messages and updating my contacts list from here and from the email.
However when i rang apple for some help they said that contacts and calendar can not be synced between two separate devices without two separate accounts, one for each device. This seems crazy for me. can anyone help.
All i want is to set it up so if im out and about and input a new calendar event or a new contact into my iphone for example when i sync the iphone and then the ipad to my account the added data on the iphone gets added to the ipad. Surely this can be done or am i missing something fairly major here?!
thanks

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
One of our frequently posting Members, twerppoet, is an expert in all things to do with sync and iTunes and I'm sure he'll be along soon with some advice.

Tim

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
iTunes by itself won't sync your Contacts. You either need to use a program on the computer and point iTunes at it, or better yet skip iTunes and sync them online.

Depending on your email provider, you may already be able to do this. Both GMail and Hotmail can be set up to sync contacts, though not by the normal account set up. I've read somewhere there is a way to do it with Yahoo too, but I don't have a link to that procedure.

Other accounts may be able to set up syncing if they have a CalDAV server. Check with your provider.

Even if your current account can not sync contacts or calendars, you can always get a GMail account and sync them that way. You set up both devices to the same account. Do it first with the device that has all, or most, of your stuff. Make sure you choose to merge (preferably) or keep you current events and contacts. Then set up the other device, after you've checked and made sure things are working properly. You'll want that to replace everything.

Been a while since I've last played with this, so the descriptions are from memory. Take them as a general guide rather than "This must happen" sort of stuff.

To set up GMail so that it will sync contacts as well as multiple calendars: Setting up Google Sync with your iOS device : Mail, Calendar, & Contacts - Google Mobile Help

For Hotmail: How To Setup Hotmail Using Exchange ActiveSync On Your iPhone, iPad And iPod Touch For Push Email, Calendar & Contacts – iPhone Hacks

Last edited:

brendaw

iPF Noob
Reaction score
need to sync my Outlook on my iphone & pc to my new ipad, can someone help?
I must be getting older than I though, because I can't grasp some of this.....

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
How are you currently syncing Outlook to your iPhone now? Do the same with the iPad.

If you don't know how, then give me as much detail as you can think of and I'll make my best guess of how it's working and what you can do.

rcarrino

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi guys, I synced my ipad to my itunes account earlier, all seemed to be ok, but no contacts or notes or mail settings or calendar.
Its the contacts and notes i really wanted so I plugged my iphone4 in and synced that so everything was up to date. When I selected sync everything it asked me weather i wanted to sync from outlook which i stupidly said yes to. I don't work off outlook so I lost everything, all my contacts and all my diary. Not panicking i hit system restore from the last back up. turns out Ive been syncing and not backing up since august last. so im stuffed im going to have to spend time going through my text messages and updating my contacts list from here and from the email.
However when i rang apple for some help they said that contacts and calendar can not be synced between two separate devices without two separate accounts, one for each device. This seems crazy for me. can anyone help.
All i want is to set it up so if im out and about and input a new calendar event or a new contact into my iphone for example when i sync the iphone and then the ipad to my account the added data on the iphone gets added to the ipad. Surely this can be done or am i missing something fairly major here?!
thanks

Did you find a way to do this? That is my dilema. I am out, add a contact to the Iphone and want to be able to make sure my gmail, ipad, and iphone all have the same data without having to manually enter.

Plainsman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hmm. I spent an hour or so the other day entering contact info from a Rolodex into the iPad. When I connected to my iMac all the iPad contacts transferred to it thru iTunes and are now available on the iMac. Am I missing something?

DefBref

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
mobro.co
Doing it via exchange means you don't need to invole itunes or connecting to a computer, its all done over the air. I can enter a contact or calendar entry on my ipad and it appears in my iphone almost instantaneously.

Plainsman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Can some kind soul provide a step-by-step procedural on how to accomplish this "via exchange"? That would be very helpful.

Most reactions

Latest posts