What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sync with Outlook?

Cdebough

iPF Noob
Reaction score
As everyone has stated. Gmail works fine but Outlook from work only the last few messages in each folder in e-mail.

Luvntravln

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am able to sync both the calendar and my contacts; however, how do I stop it from syncing older than 30 days? I have checked the box in iTunes to stop older syncs and it is still going back years!!

Cdebough

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have been syncing my iphone and ipad for a few months with Exchange and have not had any problem. I did note the ipad only picks up a few days worth of e-mails while the Iphone picks up all e-mails within exchange.

deckyon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.sturmphoto.com
What a confusing thread...

Keep in mind, Outlook 2007 is only a client when it comes to mail. It is not a server, it does not host mail. Services like gmail, mobile.me, yahoo, hotmail all serve mail to the clients, whether they are web-based or device-based.

In order for mail to be sync'd between multiple clients (PC, iPad, iPhone) you want to use a service that either offers IMAP or Exchange. I realize that gmail will allow you to use POP3 and keep a copy of the email on the server after a client downloads the email, but from what I have tried, once one client downloads the email, it does not get downloaded again.

The average person who wants to keep mail sync'd between multiple clients will want to use IMAP. The server still stores all the mail and will update the clients when changes occur.

For me, I use Exchange, with Outlook 2007 as my PC client (on 2 different PCs) as well as my iPad and iPod Touch. All my mail, contacts and calendars are sync'd up pretty much instantly with iTunes not even a part of it. The thing with most Exchange services is that they are not free. I pay $2.99/month for mine from Domain Names & Web Hosting : 1&1 Internet Inc. but it was a special promotion a number of years back from when they were beta testing their new services.

As for free versions of mail/contact/calendar sync, I would recommend IMAP from gmail over the other services out there. It is well worth the extra time to read through the FAQ's from gmail on getting your account set up right. You can sync gmail using the Exchange setting on the iPad, however I noticed some weird issues, including not all mail being downloaded to the iPad. It is best to use an IMAP account for email and the Exchange account for Calendar/Contacts only from gmail.

Luvntravln

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am able to sync both the calendar and my contacts; however, how do I stop it from syncing older than 30 days? I have checked the box in iTunes to stop older syncs and it is still going back years!!

Bringing this back up - how do I stop iPad from syncing more than 30 days of "older" calendar entries?

Colin_C

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The basic answer

When you use your USB cable to connect your iPad to your PC iTunes will sync your PC and with the following your iPhone all at the same time.
When your initial sync is complete select "info"in the iTunes menu (top of page) and select the appropriate tick boxes to sync Contacts, Notes etc. Then sync again.

Luvntravln

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have done just that; the problem is that iPad or iTunes is ignoring the fact that I have ticked the box - do not sync items over 30 days old.

bguevin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just found a software program called Companionlink and there is a 14 day free trial then you can buy it for $39.95. Hope this helps.

ptab

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Synch FROM iPad TO Outlook?

My whole calendar has been created on my iPad. I would like to synch all that info TO my Outlook calendar, which is currently blank. I am afraid if I synch w/ Outlook, I will lose everything on my iPad created calendar, and cannot afford to do that. Is it possible to do this without losing any info?:confused:
And hoprfully without having to use MobileMe, I absoultely hate iTunes!!:mad:

Luvntravln

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ptab said:
My whole calendar has been created on my iPad. I would like to synch all that info TO my Outlook calendar, which is currently blank. I am afraid if I synch w/ Outlook, I will lose everything on my iPad created calendar, and cannot afford to do that. Is it possible to do this without losing any info?:confused:
And hoprfully without having to use MobileMe, I absoultely hate iTunes!!:mad:

Mate, I synch my Outlook and iPad everyday through iTunes; I synch photos, books, music, documents.

Never had a problem with iTunes since 4.3; before 4.3 all OK just slow.

I still haven't figuered how to stop older than 30 day synchs.

ptab

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No, it can't be done

I bit the bullet and tried synching my Outlook calendar with the calendar I had created on my iPad. Nothing from my iPad was transferred to my Outlook calendar, as I was hoping for. It is a one-way street, from Outlook to iPad only. It did turn out to be an easy way to add holidays to my iPad calendar, but since I have created everything on my iPad, and wanted to transfer it to PC to be able to share w/ hubby, it was otherwise useless.:mad:

itunes is the absolutely worst POS ever!

ptab
MCDST

Luvntravln

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I bit the bullet and tried synching my Outlook calendar with the calendar I had created on my iPad. Nothing from my iPad was transferred to my Outlook calendar, as I was hoping for. It is a one-way street, from Outlook to iPad only. It did turn out to be an easy way to add holidays to my iPad calendar, but since I have created everything on my iPad, and wanted to transfer it to PC to be able to share w/ hubby, it was otherwise useless.:mad:

itunes is the absolutely worst POS ever!

ptab
MCDST

Mate, it is you; not iTunes. I have never had a single problem with iTunes and I sync all kinds of stuff daily going both ways.

Seriously, you are doing something wrong because I sync my calendar entries back and forth. Never hesitate to enter into either Outlook or my iPad as they always sync.

I just entered a multi-day event into my iPad and did a sync for this post. The whole sync took less than two minutes and I have verified that the dates have transferred both ways.

Colin_C

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No problems if your sync profile is correct

I can't see why you have problems unless you have not setup your syncing profile correctly. I sync my IPad, IPhone & Outlook. Irrespective of where the change was made and all 3 update every time. 95% of my changes emminate on the IPad and I use Outlook for aniversaries and and birthdays as it is easier. I make an average of 20-30 changes a day as I run my appointments from my IPad. Backing up accross my IPhone and Outlook provide excellent support and the tripple backup takes no more than 5 minutes a day. IPad first then IPhone is my typical sequence due to the IPad being the primary change source. If I have made a change on my IPhone I will put the IPad back through the sync process to catch the unique-to-the-IPhone-calendar changes.

Most reactions