1. Due to the recent site upgrade, the iPadForums (iPF) App will no longer work. The new iPadForums.net website has been designed from the ground up to work perfectly from any mobile, tablet, or desktop computer using the built in internet browser. Create a shortcut to iPadForums.net on your home screen by following these steps: Create an icon for iPadForums.net

Ibooks

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by citiboi, Apr 20, 2010.

1. citiboi

citiboi iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hi

I am a noob from Bangkok Thailand. Greetings to everyone here.

I bought an iPad from the US only to realize that I need to download the iBooks app before I can read any book. I am unable to download the app because it is not available in Thailand as yet. Bummer!

I am wondering if anyone will be kind enough to upload iBooks.ipa here or send the .ipa to me.

Thanks a million!!!

Citiboi
  2. Bremen

Bremen iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    Can you get the Stanza app? It is an iPhone app, but runs fine and reads epub's. Also Goodreader is an awesome reading app for PDF's but not pups......and very cheap.
  3. IpadOne

IpadOne iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hi citiboi unfortunately, this will not work at all because the .ipa file is linked the itunes account i have try this trick some hundred time don’t work even with a jailbreak otherwise it will be simple and clear in no time you have million of torrent with Apple app’s

yet 2 solutions

1) be patient (like me)
    2) open Us itunes account (not that simple)

Sorry for make you disappointed …

at least you can do like Bremen or Me use Stanza where you have million of e-book en thousand for FREE
  4. Ellie

Ellie iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    We are so lucky here in US.
  5. citiboi

citiboi iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks Bremen and IpadOne for your recommendation. I will download Stanza. I have downloaded Goodreader but transferring ebooks to Goodreader can be a pain!!

I am asking for my cousin's account id in the states.. I will try to download iBooks and upload here.

Keep your fingers crossed for me, will you?
  6. Bremen

Bremen iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    I posted these sites in the iBooks forum here at ipadforums.net . These are all legal free books, in epub format (native for iBooks) and can also be read on Stanza. You can get any of these you want and read on stanza, then bring them into iTunes when you get iBooks.

ePub Books - MobileRead Forums

ManyBooks.net - Free eBooks for your iPad, smartphone, or eBook reader

epubBooks.com - Free EPUB eBooks for your mobile eReader - Unleash Your Books

Feedbooks | Food for the mind

Free epub children's picture books

The link below is a site that converts documents to ePub online.... Nothing to download....

2EPUB - Free tool to convert documents and e-books to EPUB format. 100% free online converter.
  7. citiboi

citiboi iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks Bremen... thanks Katherinelucy. You know what? By a stroke of luck, I managed to get my cousin in US to help me start an account. I downloaded iBooks :D:D

It is a very pretty app but one big flaw. When I use calibre to convert .pdf to .ePub, the size of each page is slightly smaller than the screen. Also, calibre doesn't convert other asian languages. There is also no zoom.

I really kinda like Goodreader which can read .pdf. Very good deal for 0.99 cents!

I wanted to upload the iBooks app for non-USA members here but it won't work because iTunes need authorization. Only jailbroken iPads will not require authorization.
  8. col.bris

col.bris Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +458 / 0
    I have sent details in private message cheers Colin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  9. kheldour

kheldour iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Sawasdee khrap!

That is not correct. There is an easy way to setup an account on The US store.
    But I believe Col.bris sent you already the instructions. Otherwise contact me and I help.
  10. citiboi

citiboi iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0

Hi Kheldour

Thanks for your message. Yes Col.bris has written to me but I already have a US account which I can use.

Thanks again. :)

Cheers!!
  11. Kargurin

Kargurin iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Kindle app and reader unavailable too?

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
  12. brhon

brhon iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Welcome to the forum Citiboi-it sounds like you are making progress. Have fun, and enjoy the forums.
  13. citiboi

citiboi iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hi Kargurin

Well, I know that Stanza, GoodReader and Kindle are available in Thailand. However, as you know, there was so much hype about iBooks when the iPad was launched! It is like THE app for iPad. That is why I was excited to try it.

I believe Kindle is proprietary.. so it can read limited formats. I have yet to try Stanza. I understand there are many ebooks which you can download for free if you use Stanza.

After using iBooks, I must say, I prefer GoodReader. It reads .pdf files so I do not need to convert my .pdf files to .epub. It has a zoom and you can customize the interface a little. If only there is a way to transfer using USB....
  14. citiboi

citiboi iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks brhon.

This forum is great and the people are really helpful :) I have learnt a lot about the iPad!!
  15. Kargurin

Kargurin iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Actually I prefer the kindle app to the iBook app because it gives you the option of a sepia background. Hopefully apple will make this available at some point because I find it easier on the eyes. And with the free kindle app you have the entire kindle library at your disposal. I don't know the limitations of the app vs. that of iBook though to be honest.
  16. citiboi

citiboi iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hey, I have just found out that I am able to do a direct USB transfer of files using iTunes and GoodReader. As such, I really like GoodReader as it can read .pdf files. By the way, I am using the iPad to type this comment and I must say that the keyboard is really really accurate, responsive and does allow for multiple finger typing on landscape mode.
  17. IpadOne

IpadOne iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have try good reader, but i sincerely prefer Stanza, and in my mac i use Calibre (witch is free) to transfer in my iPhone and in my iPad, i have found over the web lot of web site with free e-book and i can download it in my two device just by adding the URL

Good reader is not too bad but more as PDF reader, i don’t consider him as a e-book reader … but i am waiting iBook to see how it work , i guess it will be better as it’s Apple applictaion
  18. citiboi

citiboi iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I use two apps for ebooks; iBooks for .epub and GoodReader for .pdf. I use calibre to convert some .pdf to .epub. However, when I use calibre to convert magazines, strangely, the size is reduced and when I use iBooks, the print is rather small. For iBook, you can change the font size but you cannot zoom in (unlike GoodReader). As such, iBook is really for ebooks and not for magazines.

I would send you the iBooks.ipa if you can download to your iPad. Unfortunately, I think you need authorisation and I cannot let you have my cousin's ID. If you want to give it a try, I can send the iBooks.ipa to your email but you need to jailbreak your iPad (not recommended) to use it without authorisation.

You may be right that Stanza is a good app. I cannot comment because I have not used it before. Maybe I will try it later :)
  19. IpadOne

IpadOne iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    hi citiboi thanks for your proposal but i will wait, as i dare not to jailbreak my iPad , bye the way do you use two iTunes account ??

Believe me Stanza is real a must have , i have not yet try magazine so i can’t say how it work in

what’s happen with the app from different country with same account , did you try that ?
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2010
  20. citiboi

citiboi iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Apple is pretty smart. Essentially you need a local address in whatever country you use; eg. A US address for US iTunes or in my case a Thai address for my thai iTunes. They verify your local address by the credit card billing address. So I had to use my cousin's US credit card to download the iBooks app from US iTunes in Thailand. You can access iTunes of any country wherever you are, just that you must log in with an ID for that country.