What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I Think I Have Broken It

rqssm

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Recently given an Ipad 4 with a broken screen, never had an Apple product, always been PC with windows, going way back, after a few days I was pleased with it and decided to change the broken screen.
It worked after and then the Home button stopped working, took it apart home button cable had been trapped, ordered new cable, it took 5 days, during this time the LCD screen and the touch screen were discounted, fitted new cable today, now it won't boot up, all cables look ok, I have had it on charge for approx 4 hours still no joy, is any way to check the lcd or the touch screen, I connected to itunes and it stated unable to restore this ipad until you put in pass code, I can't do this due to the screen being black, any help would be appreciated.
Sorry about the long winded thread I am old and never done this before, be gentle
RQSSM

Brian 244

iPF Novice
Reaction score
First , disconnect the battery , then Make sure your cables for both the lcd and home button are seated properly. Next try a reset by holding both power and home buttons at the same time for 10 seconds. If that doesn’t work hold a bright light up to the screen and look for a faint image . it’s possible that you blew the backlight filter

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Recently given an Ipad 4 with a broken screen, never had an Apple product, always been PC with windows, going way back, after a few days I was pleased with it and decided to change the broken screen.
It worked after and then the Home button stopped working, took it apart home button cable had been trapped, ordered new cable, it took 5 days, during this time the LCD screen and the touch screen were discounted, fitted new cable today, now it won't boot up, all cables look ok, I have had it on charge for approx 4 hours still no joy, is any way to check the lcd or the touch screen, I connected to itunes and it stated unable to restore this ipad until you put in pass code, I can't do this due to the screen being black, any help would be appreciated.
Sorry about the long winded thread I am old and never done this before, be gentle
RQSSM

First , disconnect the battery , then Make sure your cables for both the lcd and home button are seated properly. Next try a reset by holding both power and home buttons at the same time for 10 seconds. If that doesn’t work hold a bright light up to the screen and look for a faint image . it’s possible that you blew the backlight filter
Connecting a screen with the battery still connected will blow the backlight inverter every time.

OP
R

rqssm

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Brian 244 and scifan57 - Thank you both for your reply, sorry I haven't got back to you earlier but have been very busy, as this was working before I changed the Home button cable, I took a chance and ordered another cable from a different supplier, it arrived this morning, fitted it and plugged in the charger and low and behold I got the battery with the red line, more than I got before, I shall leave it plugged charging for a few hours and see what I get. I will let you know I outcome later.
Once again many thanks for taking the time to reply
RQSSM

OP
R

rqssm

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Update on my Ipad 4, having changed the Home button cable it now appears to be working fine, probably the cheapest fix I could have hoped for, ÂŁ2.47, lets hope it continues, as I say its working like a shop brought one, thanks to those that replied to my org post
rqssm

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Update on my Ipad 4, having changed the Home button cable it now appears to be working fine, probably the cheapest fix I could have hoped for, ÂŁ2.47, lets hope it continues, as I say its working like a shop brought one, thanks to those that replied to my org post
rqssm
I'm glad you got your iPad working. Don't hesitate to come back if you have any more questions or problems.

Most reactions

Latest posts